Dish on custom STB?

My Satellite Setup
Planning to buy for DishTV
My Location
Hyderabad, India
We checked with Dish customer care if we can activate Dish services on a STB bought other than from Dish.

They said NO.

Is it possible to do this? I have read ppl use Dish on EuroBox, DreamBox and other STBs?

I need this for 2 reasons:
1) Potential hack in future to support multiple TVs

2) Support for NTSC TV. Since Dish receiver supports PAL only, the LCD Pannel we have requires NTSC only. Instead of buying a PAL 2 NTSC converter, this will be better for long term.

3) Additional features on STB, like Component connection, 5.1 audio to feed home theater, etc.

Please advise.

Hareesh

My Satellite Setup
Sat:Insat 4 B and NSS 6
Platform:DD Direct+
STB:Eurobox 9700+CI
System:Celeron D 2.8 GHz,Fedora Core 6 and Windows Vista Home Premium Edition.
My Location
Kasaragod,Kerala,South India.
Rajesh25 said:
I have read ppl use Dish on EuroBox, DreamBox and other STBs?
Where?Any reference?

member91040

My Satellite Setup
DISH TV,DIRECT DD+,
TATA SKY,HATHWAY,
NOKIA 9660S,
PCI SAT CARD TWINHAN NSS6, PAS7/10, ASIASAT3S, INSAT,INETEL SAT, EUROSTAR, DremBox, & Multi LNB'S
My Location
INDIA
May be ...! For an specific cant be possilbe.

mehra

SATELLITE SNIFFER
My Satellite Setup
2 Dish Tv Zenega STBs | 1 DM 800 HD Clone | 180 cm TX Rx Fibre offset Dish Antenna |
My Location
india
Rajesh25 said:
We checked with Dish customer care if we can activate Dish services on a STB bought other than from Dish.

They said NO.

Is it possible to do this? I have read ppl use Dish on EuroBox, DreamBox and other STBs?

I need this for 2 reasons:
1) Potential hack in future to support multiple TVs

2) Support for NTSC TV. Since Dish receiver supports PAL only, the LCD Pannel we have requires NTSC only. Instead of buying a PAL 2 NTSC converter, this will be better for long term.

3) Additional features on STB, like Component connection, 5.1 audio to feed home theater, etc.

Please advise.
see rajesh, what dish ppl r doind is wrong both professionally and morally. but today's scenario is based on margins. dish tv wishes to eat you right from top to bottom. that's y they provide their own hardware. moreover govt. of india has directed DTH players to NOT to provide any such hardware that is further compatible to b used with some foreign programming that may contain adult stuff. taking advantage of this point dish won't let u take a stand logically neither in court nor otherwise. and as far as receiveng dish on any stb like dreambox etc. is something that most of menbers here are waiting for. this is total h-a-c-k-i-n-g and c-r-ac-k-i-n-g. it's more or less false if someone has claimed so. and finally for ur LCD panel u should find some other solution. good luck, and yes, try to contact the guy who has received dish on non dish provided STBs. i'm interesed and so are others.;) Humping

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hyderabad, India
mehra said:
see rajesh, what dish ppl r doind is wrong both professionally and morally. but today's scenario is based on margins. dish tv wishes to eat you right from top to bottom. that's y they provide their own hardware. moreover govt. of india has directed DTH players to NOT to provide any such hardware that is further compatible to b used with some foreign programming that may contain adult stuff. taking advantage of this point dish won't let u take a stand logically neither in court nor otherwise. and as far as receiveng dish on any stb like dreambox etc. is something that most of menbers here are waiting for. this is total h-a-c-k-i-n-g and c-r-ac-k-i-n-g. it's more or less false if someone has claimed so. and finally for ur LCD panel u should find some other solution. good luck, and yes, try to contact the guy who has received dish on non dish provided STBs. i'm interesed and so are others.;) Humping
I don't see this as hacking & cracking.

If i buy a paid subscription card, then i should be able to do what i want with that card, including using that in a different STB.

Ofcourse for novice users, dish will say u can't do that technically, but it is definetly feasible.

Here in US, we are free to buy any receiver and use it with DishTV. So why can't we do that in INDIAN subcontinent?
Just bcos they want to monopolize?

Secondly as far as adult content is concerned, a paying member should be allowed to buy and see what they want in their private homes. Obviously the current Hindi movies esp. the songs have far too much shown than what kids need to see. These songs and scenes are very much shown on every music channel/ads that Cable/Sat TV shows on almost every channel.

Third, if we use a custom/open STB like dreambox, we can use mutliple other satellites for free channels. This is definetly not hacking morally IMHO.

Other Gurus who understand Indian market/laws can enlighten us on this though.

member91040

My Satellite Setup
DISH TV,DIRECT DD+,
TATA SKY,HATHWAY,
NOKIA 9660S,
PCI SAT CARD TWINHAN NSS6, PAS7/10, ASIASAT3S, INSAT,INETEL SAT, EUROSTAR, DremBox, & Multi LNB'S
My Location
INDIA
Yes after knowing it, let me know it...!

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hyderabad, India
Hareesh said:
Where?Any reference?
Just see ppls sigs on this forum. Have checked other forums like SaveOnDish. However if u use Google, i don't need to provide reference.
Obviously this is not a wiki or an article i am writing to refer to them.
You can belive me and please suggest a solution instead of going tangent.

Most of the time you close the threads [like the one on using smartcard on multiple STBs]. You just said use Search, instead of providing a reference to the thread which has discussion. As a mod, i suggest you have more responsibility towards forum than using the privileges. [Remeber the Spiderman movie? - "With great power comes great responsibility".
Referenced here: http://imdb.com/title/tt0145487/ see tagline].

You might ban me if you like, but am just suggesting positive steps for better use of information on this forum.
When i searched, the search didnot provide me with corresponding threads and the active one you had closed. See my point.

Thanks. This was just my 2c.