Dish size advice for my location

markse

Reaction score
My Location
Tjörn, Sweden
Hi,
I'm in the process of re-newing, upgrading my dish and box.
I live on the west coast of Sweden just north of Gothenburg.
I would like very much to be able to view BBC & ITV (feeling a little homesick).

I am ordering a dreambox (at the moment I have an org. C***L+ box and a Samsung 9000 - Sirius & Thor).
I have seen a dish (78 cm) with 4 heads (2 mentioned above plus Hotbird and Astra).

I have read that I should be able to pick up BBC through the Astra sat. - is this correct? What about ITV?
But is 78 cm large enough? There are other sizes to choose from (85 cm and 100 cm). Or what about an "Original Wave Fronttier Toroidal 90"?
Cheers in advance, Mark.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
The BBC is FTA on Astra but has moved to Astra 2D which has a limited footprint. A dish of 1.2m and bigger is needed for most of Sweden. Strange that the area around Stockholm is rated at a 1.2m dish size.

ITV is still only available with a card and Sky digibox but that may change. They may also move to 2D for this to happen, we can only speculate.

markse

Reaction score
My Location
Tjörn, Sweden
Cheers Gameboy for your help.
I didn't realise that ITV wasn't FTA.
I think the misses and the neighbours will go mad if I start putting up a 1.2m dish on the side of the house, but needs must!!

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Why should they get mad about 1.2m? it's a small dish.

Do you live in an apartment or what?

markse

Reaction score
My Location
Tjörn, Sweden
No, I live on a very small island, very small community (deeply religious, can't work on a sunday etc, all that cr*p), doesn't bother me though, I just do my own thing.
80% of the population are over the age of 75 (with any luck they're to blind to notice the dish), either that or they don't know what it is.

loftyj

Reaction score
Hi Markse
Bad news for you Im afraid have just been reading an article in this months What Sat:
It shows that for your area a 1.8 dish is required. they show a footprint they say as been drawn up from reports to the following web site from sat fans in the areas it covers.
www.astra2d.co.uk

markse

Reaction score
My Location
Tjörn, Sweden
Cheers Loftyj for the link, reading about it now........
Likvid - would you know if I would need planning permission for a 1.8m dish?