Dish Size for UK & France

s25mjohnson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox
My Location
West Midlands
I am just starting with satellite - so these questions might seem a bit basic!
I have bought a second hand Amstrad Digibox (told it works). I want to use it in the following places with just the freesat channels plus Ch 4 & 5:

At home in the UK - West Midlands

In North Britanny, France - in a house

In the south of France - in a touring caravan. Will need a tripod etc.

Any advice gratefully received re: dish size, makes, mounting, best places to buy etc.

With regard to satellites, I know that it's Astra 28.2 - but that's all. I am also interested in getting French freetoair channels at home in the UK - any ideas?

I am told that Sky sell the freesat cards for £20 and they have to be registered in the UK.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can spare the time to advise or point me in the right direction

MJ

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
For the south of france an 80cm should do, smaller for Northern France and UK, a minidish should do.

For French TV in the UK, a minidish pointing at 5W would do.

s25mjohnson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox
My Location
West Midlands
Thanks for your reply
MJ

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If you're going over towards the Italian border then strong rain might be too much for an 80cm dish. In practivcal terms most of the time it'll be fine though.

zibi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500 Dapci,
TM-5000 Remote control.
Pach to next 7500
90 cm,Motorized dish, SG2100 Motor
Nokia Analogue Receiver
Sky box
My Location
Bucks UK
For your information, I have managed to setup a 70cm dish in PAU (South ouest of France) I am facing ASTRA 28.2 and the signal it's good enough to get every freesat channels.
Have fun...

intrepi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Viewsat Ultra, Stab MP 02 DiSEqC 1.0 to 1.2 code convertor for Stab HH 120 motor drive, Winegard 1 meter dish with an Invacom quad LNB
My Location
British Columbia Canada
Irregardless of what dish you buy, the bottom line is bigger is always better as the bigger it is, the stronger the signal. The downside is bigger dishes can become a problem with respect to bylaws, regulation restrictions, limited site location, discretion and of course wind. Coastal areas with high winds require more dish support and or dish location with a buffer zone.