ramblingbob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat
pace box
My Location
Western Norway
Hi,

don't know if this is the best part of the forum to ask this or not.

I recently set up my freesat system here in Bergen, I'd had conflicting advice before about dish size needed, anything from 70cm to 110cm. When a friend offered me a kit with a 70cm dish for next to nothing I took it. The box is a pace one.

My signal strength is very low though (never higher than a third) and a lot of channels become unavailable or poor. My signal quality is generally high, often just a notch under full.

I've tried moving the dish small amounts but that only gives a poorer signal.

Is a larger dish almost gaurunteed to solve the problem or will I just get in trouble with my wife for sticking up an even bigger, uglier dish and spending more money for nothing?

Thanks, Ben

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are partially receiving channels, then an upgrade of dish size and or quality will normally make a big difference.

You say you are receiving freesat, do you mean from Astra 28.2?

ramblingbob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat
pace box
My Location
Western Norway
Thanks

Yes, I think that's what it is. I don't know much about this stuff and a friend helped line up the dish.

On a good day I get nearly all channels perfectly. Today was about the fourth bad day in a row.

Is there an alternative I could be using then?

Also, I've not really heard much about dish quality before just size. It might not be the highest quality dish. Any idea what size I really need? I'm in one of the parts of Norway closest to Britain.

I don't want to get an enormous dish unless I have to as my house is quite picturesque and my wife is already a little peeved that it had to go on the front.

I think 90cm should be enough.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would have thought a 90cm should be big enough, but there is nothing like on the spot advice, not sure if we have any members from Bergen though.

The quality of dish and LNB will make a huge difference, there is lots of discussion of which are best in the dish setup section and also in the Pictures of Members' Systems section.

It may also be possible to mount the dish at the rear of the property, as it may be able to see the satellite by looking over the roof.