ramblingbob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat
pace box
My Location
Western Norway
Hi,

don't know if this is the best part of the forum to ask this or not.

I recently set up my freesat system here in Bergen, I'd had conflicting advice before about dish size needed, anything from 70cm to 110cm. When a friend offered me a kit with a 70cm dish for next to nothing I took it. The box is a pace one.

My signal strength is very low though (never higher than a third) and a lot of channels become unavailable or poor. My signal quality is generally high, often just a notch under full.

I've tried moving the dish small amounts but that only gives a poorer signal.

Is a larger dish almost gaurunteed to solve the problem or will I just get in trouble with my wife for sticking up an even bigger, uglier dish and spending more money for nothing?

Thanks, Ben

jimmy1968

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
astra 2
My Location
norway
are the sure the strength is low and quality high if so this is easy to fix.if strength is low try a bigger dish,shorten the cable run or for a quick fix just buy a line amp around 3 to 5 pounds,you should also buy a good lnb like a 0.2 one. but strength is not so important if you have good signal quality.im not familer with your location but a110 or 1metre should be good enough .

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
jimmy1968 said:
for a quick fix just buy a line amp around 3 to 5 pounds,

Nope don't wast your money, a line amp is no use (in most circumstances) if the signal received at the dish is low to begin with. It is only any use when signal level drops off over a long run of cable 50mtr +. If used for other scenarios it will only succeed in amplifiying the background noise.

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ramblingbob said:
My signal strength is very low though (never higher than a third) and a lot of channels become unavailable or poor. My signal quality is generally high, often just a notch under full.

I've tried moving the dish small amounts but that only gives a poorer signal.

The satellites positioned at 28.2 deg all have different footprints (signal strength area) which means that some of your channels will come in perfectly whilst others won't. You will be interested in most of the channels broadcasting from Astra 2D at the same position but this is also one of the sats with a tight footprint of The British Isles, unfortunately.

There's only one answer to your query and that is to get a bigger dish. It is difficult to say what exact size you need as this can vary within a short distance but using kingofsat.net could give you a good indication...

Signal quality is the most important of the two (signal strenght and quality), but this doesn't mean that you can be without a signal strenght indication... They should both be above 50%...

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
It's probably an academic question by now anyway as the original post is over 2 years old!

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
PaulR said:
It's probably an academic question by now anyway as the original post is over 2 years old!

LOL didn't notice before you said it now... :-doh2

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
PaulR said:

I did notice that however, I wanted to ensure that people were not mislead by the incorrect statement made in post #2 exactly 1 day ago by a member who did not notice this :)