Advice Needed Dish Size Needed to Receive Astra 1M Europe Beam

A

Archive7

I have a dish with size 1.6m pointing to Hotbird 13E and Astra 1M 19.2E which can get me the TV channels transmitting from the Astra Europe Wide Beam. My location is Israel.
Astra 1M at 19.2°E - LyngSat Maps
I would like to know the dish size that I would need (theoretically) in order to be able to receive the Astra 1M Europe beam as well
Astra 1M at 19.2°E - LyngSat Maps
I see the FP covers the northern part of Turkey easily.
I might go crazy and install a 2.4m dish if that helps, but not any bigger.
Is there an application that can calculate the dish size, irrespective of the location?
Thanks for your replies.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
@solly maybe you can help, since you're in Israel?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yeah and I am not sure he gets a whole lot from Astra 1 on it...

A

Archive7

Just checked he has 3.7m dish
Anyway, is there a way to calculate the dish size needed?

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
You better go crazy and install 2.4m motorized dish. Than you will have maximum possible reception of all visible birds and also find out whether it is possible to get Astra1M. :D I do not know about such a calculator which calculated dish siz out of official coverage. Should be trial and error method.

A

Archive7

You better go crazy and install 2.4m motorized dish. Than you will have maximum possible reception of all visible birds and also find out whether it is possible to get Astra1M. :D I do not know about such a calculator which calculated dish siz out of official coverage. Should be trial and error method.
Thanks for the advise. I wish I can do that.
I am not that crazy. The dish will sit on the roof top of a 5 storey building and it must be fixed solid otherwise it can become a flying saucer on a windy day. I am interested only in Astra 1M Europe beam and the cost of replacing the 1.6m with a 2.4m will be very costly just to find out I don't get anything better than what I am getting now.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Then look around, maybe somebody has bigger dish than yours, and ask owner whether he/she can get reception from Astra1M