dish size & signal

N

nilefish

My Satellite Setup
DB 500 S,Strong 4622, Viasat Denmark card and receiver, Moteck 2100 Motor, Triax1.1 dish, infinty programmer, cas interface2.
My Location
South London
Hi every one ..I have 80 cm dish and I can get a signal up to 84% on the hotbird , if I go for 1.1 m will that increase the signal ? and what is the maximum I can get ?

Thanks

gameboy

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
nilefish said:
Hi every one ..I have 80 cm dish and I can get a signal up to 84% on the hotbird , if I go for 1.1 m will that increase the signal ? and what is the maximum I can get ?
Yes, it should if it is set up correctly and the second answer would be 100%

Don't think 100% is possible as you will get some drop off.

rolfw

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can get a reading of 100% on the receiver, but why? If you are receiving the satellite with no dropout in bad weather, then an 80cm is all you need, a larger dish may of course give you better reception on some other harder to receive satellites, but also technically requires planning consent.

jakenl

jakenl

My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Starlight 5900+PVR-80GB,Topfield TF5000CI,Skystar2,110cm dish, Invacom 0,3dB, Moteck SG2100A,range: 75East-61West,AMD Sempron 2600+, Windows XP Pro.
My Location
The Netherlands
Hi.

I have a 1,10 m dish and the max. signal level on Hotbird is 85%.
Don't expect to much from this value as it is made by software only.
I haven't heard form a Manhattan receiver which got 100% signal level.
It is only an indication. More important is the Qualitylevel. That should be somewhere between 95 and 100% for pictures without dropout.

Jakenl

N

nilefish

My Satellite Setup
DB 500 S,Strong 4622, Viasat Denmark card and receiver, Moteck 2100 Motor, Triax1.1 dish, infinty programmer, cas interface2.
My Location
South London
Many Thanks for your help I realy appeciate that ..because I just bought a motor I think I will try it with my 80 cm dish and hopfuly it will work fine otherwise I will go for a 1.1 m
trhank you all

rolfw

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Whereabouts are you nilefish? I use an 80cm and pull in enough to keep me square eyed. :)

N

nilefish

My Satellite Setup
My Location
South London
I'm in south London Rolf ..some times the signal is week 79% maybe I need to set up my dish correctly it might give a better result
Thanks

rolfw

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
In South London an 80cm should be fine, as jakenl says, it is the signal quality which is all important. A good test to see how weatherproof your setup is, is to drape a wet tea towel over the top 1/4 or 1/3 of the dish and see if you still have reception, this will simulate a rain storm.