Dish size

G

ggkm1

Could anyone tell me the largest size dish that can safely be Wall Mounted?

Thanks

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Depends on many factors (type of dish, exposure to wind, the construction of the wall...)
I have a single-brick construction on my shed wall, and a 1.2m x 1.35m steerable Gregorian mounted on a pole boldeted to (actually THROUGH) the wall. I have strengthened the mount by fixing plates to the inside of the wall at the position the bolts come through. Any bigger and I would have been risking a damaged wall in high winds...

2old

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would baulk at putting much bigger than a 1.2 meter and positioner on a normal wall, although there are brackets around that should take up to 2 meters (bit ugly though).

Pole mounts for bigger dishes are much safer.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Unless you already have the dish, its best to find out what you re most likely to be watching to determine the largest you need

Congrats on tackling the subject from the front end though

many start with the receiver or look at improving the reception by changing LNBs adinfinitum before realising that the dish is too small

Have you got a small plot of land you could set a pole into or are you really restricted to a wall only

G

ggkm1

I am on the top floor (6th) of an apartment block!

Using a 1.3mt dish at moment. require Larger.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Your location limits even more the maximum size of dish recommended, windage is a major factor when looking at installations at that sort of height, is there any way that the dish can be mounted on the roof? There are very good non-Penetrating patio mounts that can be used in flat roof situations.

Rolf

G

ggkm1

Could you please give me an example of this and the Company that could provide me with same. What dish sizes between 1.2mt and 2mt exist.

Thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 19-Aug-01 AT 08:21 PM (GMT)[/font][p]Try the Channel Master site http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/cs5.htm

The above link is a PDF of the large Non Penetrative mount, will take up to 2.4 metres windage up to 125Mph I believe. Be prepared to lug a lot of concrete blocks though. :)

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Depending on the type of antenna you eventually go for, you will need the mount with the right post diameter

Channel Master dont make anything larger than the 1.2m with a polarmount and the next size up would be the 1.8m.
You would have to make some bracketry to fit an aftermarket horizon to horizon mount (possibly Jaeger) to the CM dish

Assuming you are given permission to stick it on the roof, you could always try the Prodelin 1.8m with integral polarmount (they also make a 2.4m prime focus unit ) but I would agree with Rolf in that you have to be VERY careful that the right amount of concrete is put under the mount otherwise it will do some serious damage to the ground

Ever thought of moving ?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Sorry

Forgot the specifications

Prodelins 1186 Series Antenna

Receive only type C and Ku band compatible

1 piece Offset reflector with polarmount

3.5 inch post – ( 4”OD) Mounts available

Universal Mast 0800-652
SRM-36 0800-755 (no pads) or 0800-763 (with pads)
10x10 NonPen Mount 0800-1229(no pads) or 0800-1114 (with pads)
Pedestal Mount 0800-972

Approx Shipping Weight 160 Ibs (72kgs)

Various feeds available for it

Requires 24/36" actuator for movement

If you are interested then Ill work out a price
(Dear 2Old - does helping out a fellow member constitute trading on the site ?)

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Bear in mind that there are others here involved in the trade and I'd hate to see it become a bidding circus. So I'd prefer sales/offers to be progressed via email.

If admin and/or other mods have a different view please post.
2old

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I know that there have been problems on other forums regarding advertising of services. Certainly I don't have a problem with it but could see how others might. Perhaps any people who are happy to receive PMs regarding offers of equipment could state this in their profile or on their post.

Rolf