Dish size

A.h. king

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hi
My Location
Middle East
Hello,

Is a 120cm dish enough to catch a signal of EIRP level = 40 dBW?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
According to Flysat's equivalence table, it might be ok (For Ku Band, not C Band).

_http://www.flysat.com/dish.php

BUT, not only would that be marginal even if whatever source you have for assuming a 40dBW Footprint Contour is reliable and accurate, but you need to consider that Footprint Contours are notoriously inaccurate.

Always best to take a pessimistic view and go larger, except if you have local robust evidence to the contrary.

As you will note from the Table, a 1 or 2 dB difference between forecast and reality makes a BIG difference.

A.h. king

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hi
My Location
Middle East
Tivù said:
According to Flysat's equivalence table, it might be ok (For Ku Band, not C Band).

_http://www.flysat.com/dish.php

BUT, not only would that be marginal even if whatever source you have for assuming a 40dBW Footprint Contour is reliable and accurate, but you need to consider that Footprint Contours are notoriously inaccurate.

Always best to take a pessimistic view and go larger, except if you have local robust evidence to the contrary.

As you will note from the Table, a 1 or 2 dB difference between forecast and reality makes a BIG difference.

Thank you for your help, but I have one more question (which might seem to you as stupid). What is the proper way to measure a dish?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Normally the minimum diameter of the dish surface is the size used, the part that forms the curvature of the parabola, as opposed to the overall side to side measuerment.