Dish Size

englishman64

Reaction score
I have a 1M disk (with a Humax 5400Z)
Thing is I am sick of getting poor reception on TV1000 and Ticket channels (apart from middayish)
Will a larger dish help
Are there any issues re planning permission ( Say I was to get a 1.2M dish instead )
Cheers
Mick

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No difference in planning requirements between the two dish sizes in the UK Mick, they both require it, so you should have applied for it before you put up your existing dish really.

In real terms most people get away without it, but the extra proportions of the 1.2 metre may well tip a neighbour over the edge. :)

paulp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Wales (UK)
It may not sound much bigger, but it looks almost twice the size in the garden !

Just put a fortec 1.2M up instead of my old 1 mtr and where TV1000 2/3 was poor it is reliable now in most conditions. 20%signal quality on a Humax 5400.
Ticket is a little weaker at 18% and is prone to breakup still when the weather turns.

It's worth changing the lnb for the fortec 0.5 with the above dish, as the signal strength went from 50 (digisat pro) on my cambridge gold to 70 with the fortec. Strange thing is that the quality didnt' improve on these channels, where other satellites have seen a marked increase. May be something to do with a tree being directly inline with the sirus satellite.

Anyway I'm based in Swansea, South Wales. 51 36' N, 3 9'W

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
What is your location englishman64?

Rolf is correct your current dish requires Planning permission, if you are freindly with those living close by then normally they will not object. The size differance is clearly visible.

Additionally at many Uk locations a 1.2 will still prove to small for 5.0 east.

regards

Old Satellite

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
H

Happy-Buddah

He He rolfw:)

Liked that one m8, sent off nicely with a boot up the ({}) (;) ;) ).
I do love posters who do not have the decency to ask politely, please/thank you go a long way.
If he is still around he could perhaps try
http://www.flysat.com/dish.php as well.
Regards H-B