Dish Upgrade

snapperoonie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+Duo, 1m Funke dish, Single Black Ultra LNB, Jaeger dg-120 motor.
45E to 61W, Samsung UE40ES8000 3D TV
My Location
West Midlands
Hi guy's,
I want to replace my 80cm dish and Omnisat motor with a 1m Funke dish and Jaeger superjack DG-120 motor that i have had in my garage for about 5 or 6 years but never used.
My plan is to swap the lower bracket (a "K" bracket that i modified into a "double T") to the top and the "K" bracket to a position slightly lower than the present poition of the lower bracket to spread the load a bit more, my main problem is that the wall is built from perforated bricks and although it has withstood the winds of the last two winters i am thinking of changing the Thunderbolt fixings for chemical using home made 10mm stainless steel studs, my main question is how deep should i embed the studs, as i obviously dont want to break into the cavity and what is the procedure when using these 1m lengths of wire mesh sleeve?
Thanks in anticipation,
snapperoonie.

Attachments

• IMG-20120406-00004.jpg
    IMG-20120406-00004.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 182
  • Lower Bracket.jpg
    Lower Bracket.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 189

snapperoonie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Midlands
Update.
Been meaning to post an update on this for ages but just kept forgetting about it.
Last summer I took the plunge and installed the 1m Funke as described above.
Just in case any one is thinking of using chemical anchors this is what I did.
Having seen the price of 10mmx110mm long stainless steel studs I decided to make them from A4 stainless steel allthread this cost me nothing as I managed to get it gratis through work (ditto the 10mm A4 nuts), as a toolmaker I have access to a lathe and a surface grinder so they only took an hour or so to make.
In the end I decided to use pre-made plastic sleeves 16mmx85mm long cost about a quid each and for the resin after a lot of research I decided on Fischer FIS VS !50 C which is a Vinyl ester hybid mortar that can be dispensed using a standard sealant gun, at about £14 a pop it ain't cheap but I wanted the best and needed 2 tubes as I had a couple of other jobs I needed it for.
The existing holes were drilled out to 16mm using an SDS drill I borrowed from work and brushed and blown out using a pump loaned fron a m8 who uses it to inflate his surf kite.
The rest of the project just involved following the instructions that came with the resin.
I would have liked to have lowered the lower bracket by a couple of feet but was limited by the length of the pole but the end result is an installation that seems rock solid and tracks the arc from 45e (limited by next doors roof) to 45w and so far has resisted the autumn winds with no problem..
Will try to upload some pictures tomorrow/.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yes, pictures are always welcome here!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
A nice explanation of chemical fixings. Look forward to some pictures.

snapperoonie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Midlands
Pictures as promised.
The dish is pointing at 45E can't get anything further east as i suspect next doors roof is blocking the arc.
Picture 6 shows a plastic sleeve, home made anchor and a 6mm thick A4 stainless steel washer I made, they are more like clamps than washers as i was determined that there was no way they would pull into the slots in the brackets when I thightened them up, I am after all a toolmaker and we are well known for over engineering everything, I've even put lock nuts on the studs.
The brackets themselves are 5mm thick angle iron, the upper one I modded with 5mm thick box section cut to form tapered channel, they were then hot dip galvanised (again gratis through work).
All bolts and screws on the dish and motor were changed for either stainless steel capscrews or bolts and smothered with silicone grease.

Attachments

• Dudley-1 copy.jpg
    Dudley-1 copy.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 196
  • Dudley-2 copy.jpg
    Dudley-2 copy.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 208
  • Dudley-3 copy.jpg
    Dudley-3 copy.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Dudley-4 copy.jpg
    Dudley-4 copy.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 212
  • Dudley-5 copy.jpg
    Dudley-5 copy.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 203
  • Dudley-6 copy.jpg
    Dudley-6 copy.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 169

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Thats a nice install ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustySpoons

Sleepy Hollow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
50E - 30W
2x CM 1.2m Polar Mount/Jack
65E- 65W
Gibertini 1m OP100 - STAB HH100 - Inverto Black Ultra 0.2 Twin
Mutant HD51
Edision Primo IP S2
Dreambox DM800HD
Venton Unibox HD2
Sony Bravia 55" 4K
My Location
South Wales
Amazing install! that Fischer stuff is amazing isn't it.