Dish with small holes...

auswe

Reaction score
My Location
Norway
hmmm...

just got an dish from my neighbour that he wasn't using.

It's a dish with small holes in the entire dish area. Think the size is about 90 cm, but no label.

Are these small holes in a dish an advantage or disadvantage? What are the meaning with these?

Maybe if you live in a windy area the air blows through?..

Best Regards

auswe

pocster2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax CI-5100, 80cm 19.2e/13e/7e, 100cm 1w, 150cm 7w, 240cm on order.
My Location
Northwest UK
It is a mesh dish as opposed to solid. I personally dont think it has anything to do with wind. I think they are less visible when bolted to a wall, you can still see some of the building behind it. Also use slightly less metal than a solid dish so maybe some cost savings in manufacturing?

In terms of performance there is no difference as the wavelength of the satellite signals is bigger than the holes.

You used to get (maybe still can) C Band dishes with bigger holes that were no good for Ku Band as the holes were too big and did affect performance.

Hope this helps.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The mesh dish will be slightly less wind resistant, but more important, will be lighter than a solid steel dish. In general, a solid dish is preferable for the best performance, but probably has little advantage in the cheaper range, as manufacturing tolerances are less strict.

auswe

Reaction score
My Location
Norway
Thank you for your answers.

Since I'm using the motor some people on this forum has been quite negative to, that is the Motek SG2100, this dish may be good since it's probably lighter than a normal dish.

Gonna try it out this weekend if the weather allows it..