Dishes

sailor

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Malaga, Spain
Hi. Looking for information about dishes, especially corelation between the material ( alumin, steel, mesh or solid, fiberglass) and gain . Also relation of effectiveness and shape
Thanks

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
sailor said:
Hi. Looking for information about dishes, especially corelation between the material ( alumin, steel, mesh or solid, fiberglass) and gain . Also relation of effectiveness and shape
Thanks
Hello Sailor :)
Have you tried Nobbly's Big Links Forum in the General Section?

sailor

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Malaga, Spain
jimbo said:
Hello Sailor :)
Have you tried Nobbly's Big Links Forum in the General Section?
Thanks Jimbo ,I have tried Nobbly's. There is some info there but so far I have not found answers to my questions. I was hoping somebody can save me couple of weeks I need to go through all of the Nobbly's links

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Best turn it on its head Sailor, what are you trying to achieve?

sailor

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Malaga, Spain
rolfw said:
Best turn it on its head Sailor, what are you trying to achieve?
Hi Rolfw. Thanks for picking up.Just trying to educate myself about dishes.
1. What is better material
2. What is better shape
3. Is mesh as efficient as solid metal.
4. What affects gain and sensitivity.
This sort of things. Would be nice to find some tables with technical comparisons.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There are some very clued up guys on the forum who will be able to give you the real technical arguments, but it really depends on the size of dish and the application as to which is most suited. If there were a best shape or material, all top quality dishes would be made that way.

O

Old Fred

sailor said:
Hi Rolfw. Thanks for picking up.Just trying to educate myself about dishes.
1. What is better material
Depends on what you want?
Light weight - aluminium.
Low cost - steel
Durability - sheet moulded compound
Rigidity is also important.
2. What is better shape
No choice there. It has to be parabolic!
3. Is mesh as efficient as solid metal.
No. But that applies only if you compare like with like. In general, if you take a metal dish and punch holes in it, you'll make it slightly less efficient. Holes are for cosmetic appearance.
4. What affects gain and sensitivity.
Oh dear. Shape, rigidity, LNB feed horn matching, LNB shadowing (on a prime focus dish). Generally, an offset focus dish is more efficient than a prime focus dish because the LNB doesn't block part of the signal. But then you get Cassegrain and Gregorian dishes which are the most efficient but have drawbacks (such as size, weight, appearance and cost).

I recommend you read as much about it as possible in books, as I have over the last year or so. It's a minefield. There are dealers out to fleece you and there are people with a little knowledge (but not enough - like me and Rolf!) who might mislead you.

Fred