Dishes

Kidson

Reaction score
I am having to upgrade my dish to either 1.5m - 1.8m - 2.00m or 2.4m.

What is the largest size which can normally be fitted to an external wall?

What does one look for in a "GOOD" dish? What distinguishes between a good and not so good a dish?

Can anyone give an indication of cost for the various size dishes?

Thanks for educating me in advance.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Are you a UK resident?....as there are regulations i.e 90cm is the largest you can legaly wall mount in view of people who live around you. however if it is ground level i.e rear garden then there might be different planning laws.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If you have a large house in the country and good neighbours you can get away with anything

If you want just the 2.4 dish and fitting then budget for £2000 for a good system, over half will be the equipment.

A high install or windy location will cost more

Make sure the wall is as close to South facing as possible

Kidson

Reaction score
I reside in Portugal on the Algarve.

The 1.3m dish I currently have has lost reception of channel 5 and several of the Sky movie channels break up - mosaic like pixillation.

What is the minimum size dish I need to obtain channel 5 and all the Sky movies to which I subscribe?

I have difficuly fathoming out the footprints

Anyone out there able to advise?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
From looking at other reports from the area, it may be a cheaper option to look at tweaking your existing setup, swapping LNB and or receiver.

See HERE for a report from an Algarve installer. I know this is specifically with regard to 2D and the BBC channels, but he seems to be able to receive everything .

Kidson

Reaction score
Many thanks for your helpful suggestion.

Coincidence but the Algarve installer is the chappie who actually undertook my installation! Not him in person but one of his staff.

I have a Pace 2600 which supposedly gives the best reception. I am unsure what LNB is installed. My dish size as you know is 1.3m.

I am located in Lagos and signal strength looks to be just under 50% and signal quality approx 25% - this does not appear to be too healthy.

It has been suggested I now move to a 1.5m or 1.8m dish. Seems nowhere else in my area requires anything more than 1.2m or 1.3m.

The installer spent much time trying to improve alignment - signal strength etc - to no avail - seems under circumstances I shall have no other option than to obtain a larger dish! - Oh dear - yet more money!!

Kidson

Reaction score
I have just learned dishes of 1.5m and above are not made with Pole mounts - and need to be positioned on the ground. Is that correct?

frassle

Non-Activated User
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
Kidson said:
I have just learned dishes of 1.5m and above are not made with Pole mounts - and need to be positioned on the ground. Is that correct?

I don't think so I am putting up 2.7m on pole mounts

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
The 1.6 Engel brand dish is 162cm tall and 152 wide offset with a normal pole mount.Infact all dishes can be pole mounted if the pole is vertical and of the correct diameter...........brian
ps..the cost is around 300 euros

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
As for the signal stength and quality,thats only the default transponder,and as such is ok..but channel search the 5 frequency and just see what quality you get then! nowt!

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Also depends on the wall.Over here on reinforced concrete walls,we've put up to 3m so far.

Kidson

Reaction score
dishdoctor said:
The 1.6 Engel brand dish is 162cm tall and 152 wide offset with a normal pole mount.Infact all dishes can be pole mounted if the pole is vertical and of the correct diameter...........brian
ps..the cost is around 300 euros

The figure of Euros quoted is this for the Dish and Pole Mount?

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Just for the dish....it will fit on a 60/75mm post,around 25 euros for the ground stand,1.20 cm tall