• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DishTV DVR

sjude

Regular Member
Messages
111
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Kaon DVR - KSC-N620
Fortechstar FSCI9800
My Location
MUM
#1
I have a Kaon KSC-N620 receiver which is with HDD. Until now the software is not upgraded to use new services like games and Active services. I have writen many emails to DishTV customer care and I got a reply saying that I should contact my dealer for a set-to-set download. But when I asked my dealer he says that the Kaon DVR does not have this upgraded software. Why is Dish TV lying about software available for DVR.

If anyone is thinking of going for DVR then first check if all new services are available on the receiver. I spend more than Rs. 18K for this stupid receiver and loose on Playjam and other services. It is almost a year now. Infact I should have gone for a new connection which would be with a new receiver with all all the latest services.
:mad:
 

hsenet

Accustomed Geek
Messages
40
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Satellite: Dish Tv India With Zenega and Beetel 96 SD amp receiver. 60 cms( Dish TV) and 90 cms(MCBS) dishes.

My Computer: Intel Core Duo 3.4GHz, 512MB DDR2 ram,FC6 And Win XP-SP2
My Location
Mangalore,Karnataka,India
#2
Hi Jude,

Its my opinion that the so called 'Active' services that dish tv is providing is absolutely worthless. It would be better if you keep the old software itself, that way, you can buy another dish and hookup to other sats. Now that DD DTH is moving to Insat 4b, i don't think we will be able to get any of those services on our Dish TV receivers with upgraded software.

Hsenet
 

sjude

Regular Member
Messages
111
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Kaon DVR - KSC-N620
Fortechstar FSCI9800
My Location
MUM
#3
thanks Hsenet. what about Playjam. Looks like I should go for another receiver for the kids. Or maybe playjam games are not that good.
 
Messages
17
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Hot bird/winxp
#4
Hi Sjude,
I am also in same situ as you. But before I buy DVR, I had Zenega with updated software (work only for NSS6) which is totally worthless comparing to prior software version. If you get upgraded (it is really downgraded and you have no control over it) your DVR, you may loose adding SATS, TPS features for getting useless playjam and active services. I suggest to keep your DVR as it is. Good from June onwards.
 
Messages
13
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
DISH TV
My Location
INDIA, HOSUR - TAMIL NADU
#5
kasim050 said:
Hi Sjude,
I am also in same situ as you. But before I buy DVR, I had Zenega with updated software (work only for NSS6) which is totally worthless comparing to prior software version. If you get upgraded (it is really downgraded and you have no control over it) your DVR, you may loose adding SATS, TPS features for getting useless playjam and active services. I suggest to keep your DVR as it is. Good from June onwards.
Hi,
If your STB upgraded once, thats all, you can not add new TPs, Satellites or any other datas. Now your are safe, you can add new satellites & Tps. Don't try to upgrade it.

I am having Zwnega STB, before upgradation i could change the parameters and i could receive other than Dish tv channels, but after UPGRADE the software, my STB is usless, we can receive only NSS6 signals - Dish TV permitable channels.
 

sjude

Regular Member
Messages
111
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Kaon DVR - KSC-N620
Fortechstar FSCI9800
My Location
MUM
#6
kasim050 said:
Hi Sjude,
I am also in same situ as you. But before I buy DVR, I had Zenega with updated software (work only for NSS6) which is totally worthless comparing to prior software version. If you get upgraded (it is really downgraded and you have no control over it) your DVR, you may loose adding SATS, TPS features for getting useless playjam and active services. I suggest to keep your DVR as it is. Good from June onwards.
Thanks for all in this forum to say :-Nooo to new software. Infact I also had Zenega which I sold to one of my friend and went for DVR. I thought I was loosing something. But now I know though I am not gaining anything from the new software nothing is lost like adding new TPs or satellite. Hope I don't get the upgrade. But what if DishTV later sends the new software OTA.
 

curious

Regular Member
Messages
88
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
DishTV Zenega CD1006,
Airtel digital TV
My Location
Pune (Latitude: 18° 28'N, Longitude: 73° 52'E), Maharashtra, India
#7
sjude said:
Thanks for all in this forum to say :-Nooo to new software. Infact I also had Zenega which I sold to one of my friend and went for DVR. I thought I was loosing something. But now I know though I am not gaining anything from the new software nothing is lost like adding new TPs or satellite. Hope I don't get the upgrade. But what if DishTV later sends the new software OTA.
The only way to stop DishTV from sending new software OTA is to remove all DishTV TPs from your STB. I've done the same thing. This won't be a feasible option for you as you won't be able to watch DishTV channels then. May be, you should take the backup of your current software and restore it later if needed. I've seen some posts in this forum on how to take backup etc. I've not tried it myself though.
 

sjude

Regular Member
Messages
111
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Kaon DVR - KSC-N620
Fortechstar FSCI9800
My Location
MUM
#8
curious said:
The only way to stop DishTV from sending new software OTA is to remove all DishTV TPs from your STB. I've done the same thing. This won't be a feasible option for you as you won't be able to watch DishTV channels then. May be, you should take the backup of your current software and restore it later if needed. I've seen some posts in this forum on how to take backup etc. I've not tried it myself though.
There is no way to take backup of the current software and restore it later. A lot is talked about in this forum but most of it is not possible. Nobody posted of any software which will let us backup the firmware of the receiver. If that was possible then restoring old firmware will not be a problem.

If the OTA firmware upgrade TP is removed then auto tuning may not be possible or if the receiver is made to factory default retuning will not be possible. I am not sure about it.
 

hsenet

Accustomed Geek
Messages
40
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Satellite: Dish Tv India With Zenega and Beetel 96 SD amp receiver. 60 cms( Dish TV) and 90 cms(MCBS) dishes.

My Computer: Intel Core Duo 3.4GHz, 512MB DDR2 ram,FC6 And Win XP-SP2
My Location
Mangalore,Karnataka,India
#9
sjude said:
thanks Hsenet. what about Playjam. Looks like I should go for another receiver for the kids. Or maybe playjam games are not that good.
Hi SJude!
Sorry for the Late Reply. Do you have a comp? You can find more such games available for free on the net! Playjam games are just very simple games, which are totally worthless. More so you can have better games on your mobile!
 
Messages
5
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Basically A Catv installer,distributor and service technician of DISHTV INDIA
My Location
india
#10
Dear Sir, I chanced to see a complaint regarding Kaon Receiver
The new software is done from air not from receiver or computer. for this you have to first do factory reset-taken from menu-> bottom of Installation page (must be switched on and dish connected) then restart . Then the new software will come including active services. This is the case with Kaon receivers.( not sure of DVbs but it have no problem with the existing channels)
In case of any enquiry Activation monthly payments etc Please mail to me. EMAIL ID and Web Address removed.
for any quiries please mail me
 

sjude

Regular Member
Messages
111
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Kaon DVR - KSC-N620
Fortechstar FSCI9800
My Location
MUM
#11
brillytv said:
Dear Sir, I chanced to see a complaint regarding Kaon Receiver
The new software is done from air not from receiver or computer. for this you have to first do factory reset-taken from menu-> bottom of Installation page (must be switched on and dish connected) then restart . Then the new software will come including active services. This is the case with Kaon receivers.( not sure of DVbs but it have no problem with the existing channels)
In case of any enquiry Activation monthly payments etc Please mail to me. EMAIL ID and Web Address removed.
for any quiries please mail me
I have a DVR - receiver with HDD. No upgrade for this yet from Dish TV. I have done factory reset many times. This stupid receiver gets reset many times when changing channels - there is a freeze on the channel and then it gets reset. When it comes on the long process of checking HDD goes on and then channel 999 comes up. By this time the movie or serial goes ahead (about 5 minutes). No reply from Dish TV when I complain.
:mad: