Distorted sound on TV's via the powered RF2 outlet?

divingdave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Sky+ (4.005). 4-way splitter in loft uses power from RF2 outlet to distribute Sky+ into multiple rooms. Magic eye adaptors in these rooms.
My Location
Bournemouth
Hi there,

Hope someone can help me out please...

My set-up is as follows: I have a Sky+ box downstairs which also sends the signal around the house via the powered RF2 outlet. This cable goes up into the loft and into a 4 way splitter (a T140 signal booster). The splitter is not separately powered as it works OK using the small amount of power provided by the RF2 outlet. From the splitter I have 4 cables which go to various TV points around the house, into which I plug the Magic Eye adaptors so I can use a Sky remote in all these rooms. Hope that all makes sense.

My problem is to do with the sound I get on the TV's that get their signal from the RF2/Splitter. The picture quality is fine, and the sound is generally OK except for bass/low frequency noises which are badly distorted. For example - a low rumbling noise on a programme will sound terrible!

I have read elsewhere that the sound provided by the RF2 outlet is Mono only. Is this true, and if so - is this the reason for the sound problems? I should also point out that I have experimented with the Sky+ settings to try both Stereo and Mono sound output and the problem occurs when using either. Would using a AC-powered splitter make any difference?

Cheers,
Dave

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
:-Welcome1 to the forum divingdave

This is unusual what you are describing sounds like clipping but I cannot believe that someone would manufacture something that doesn't work properly unless you have a faulty unit of course. Is this the unit you are referring to. I do not know if a powered unit would help, I do doubt it personally but others on here have more practical experience than me and no doubt will jump in.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The sound is indeed mono via the RF output, but it should be of reasonable quality, have you tried removing the Aerial input to the digibox to see if it is caused by adjacent channel interference?

divingdave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Sky+ (4.005). 4-way splitter in loft uses power from RF2 outlet to distribute Sky+ into multiple rooms. Magic eye adaptors in these rooms.
My Location
Bournemouth
toppervte33h said:
This is unusual what you are describing sounds like clipping but I cannot believe that someone would manufacture something that doesn't work properly unless you have a faulty unit of course. Is this the unit you are referring to.

Thanks for the reply. The unit I have can be seen here: http://www.thedigiboxshop.com/t140_4way_tv_link_splitter_amplifier.html

Just to add a bit more info - all the radio channels are also distorted. And my RF2 outlet uses a male to female converter so a male aerial cable can be plugged into it.

Cheers...

divingdave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bournemouth
rolfw said:
The sound is indeed mono via the RF output, but it should be of reasonable quality, have you tried removing the Aerial input to the digibox to see if it is caused by adjacent channel interference?

Thanks for the suggestion rolfw. I tried this and I think its made a slight difference. What do I need to do to keep the aerial input connected and reduce the chances of channel interference?

Cheers,
Dave

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It sounds like it could be a faulty output from the digibox then, I guess that it is also possible that the global amp is producing the noise on the sound, but it is in my opinion unlikely.

divingdave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bournemouth
OK. What do I need to do to keep the aerial input connected and reduce the chances of channel interference? Are there any settings I can change anywhere?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
The Sky box RF output (1 or 2) just sends out a "standard" analogue UK UHF tv channel, which only has mono intercarrier sound (fm modulation, 6 Mhz above the single sideband am vision carrier), but that's good quality.

The picture modulator used in the Sky box is double sideband, which can cause interference if the channel used is next to existing broadcast ones, possibly affecting sound, or if there's other interference, so first try changing the channel number (in SKy box installer menu, and on tv too of course!), try a few different ones at random.

If the analogue channels received on your tv sound fine, but Sky doesn't, it's most likely interference with the particular UHF channel being used, just possibly a Sky box fault (but unlikely).

Also, make sure the tv is correctly tuned into the Sky channel!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
divingdave said:
Thanks for the suggestion rolfw. I tried this and I think its made a slight difference. What do I need to do to keep the aerial input connected and reduce the chances of channel interference?

Cheers,
Dave

Ah ok, I misread and thought you said it didn't make any difference. :eek:

As spiney says above, try it on different channels, it will depend where you are as to which ones are best.

divingdave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bournemouth
spiney said:
The picture modulator used in the Sky box is double sideband, which can cause interference if the channel used is next to existing broadcast ones, possibly affecting sound, or if there's other interference, so first try changing the channel number (in SKy box installer menu, and on tv too of course!), try a few different ones at random.

Thanks spiney. I've had a play with it and found that my RF was output to channel 68 (which all the other TV's were tuned into to view Sky). My terrestrial channels range from 21 (right after 68) through to the 30's. I'll try somewhere around the 50's and see how I get on. Thanks for the advice. Cheers...

divingdave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bournemouth
rolfw said:
Ah ok, I misread and thought you said it didn't make any difference. :eek:

Sorry, my fault - I edited the post after the initially posting it as it seemed better the more I experimented with it.

jaymes

Reaction score
Had two Sky plus 160 Boxes with faulty modulators. Cross modulation patterning.

Checked by just using RF ouputs. No aerial , nothing else in RF line. Both outputs faulty.