DIY DiSEqC 1.2

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
The 790FF DiSEqC analaogue system which I bought in France last year has given me hours of fun. However, when I had motor problems, I decided to effect a DIY repair in preference to returning the item to the hypermarket where I bought it - for obvious reasons. The problem was a broken solder joint - easily repaired, even by a rank amateur such as myself. The system now works perfectly again.

What surprised me though, given that satellite tv is supposed to be hi-tech, was the simplicity, even crudity, of the construction inside the housing - cheap electric motor threaded rod gearing, reed switch/magnet position sensing, microswitch rotation limiters and a very basic pcb for the control hardware.

It seems that, with a little ingenuity and my moderate technical skills, the motor could be improved to give a wider h-h arc from its current 35 deg E to 35 deg W. I intend to make the appropriate modifications as soon as the need to extend the size of my required arc becomes more pressing. Having got this far, I now wonder whether there are any worthwhile modifications I could make to the hardware and software. Are there any DiSEqC 1.2 controller circuit diagrams in the public domain? If so, is there any software available for it?

Wolsty

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think you've hit the nail on the head there, even the acronym sounds far more complex than the reality, DIgital Satellite EQuipment Control. I've got a file in zipped PDF that is far too techy for me, but may be of interest to you, can't attach it as it's 2meg or so, but I'll see if I can remember where I got it from and post the link.

Rolf

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Well Rolfw, if it's too techy for you, it'll almost certainly defeat me. But I'd like to see it anyway. If you can find the URL, I'd be grateful.

wolsty

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
OK Wolsty, I've PMd you the link, it will only be on there for a day or so as I'm short of space.

Rolf

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
Please excuse my ignorance Rolf, but what's PMd?

wolsty

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
PMd = Private Message. Sorry it took so long for the penny to drop, but it is Sunday evening after a few glasses of wine with my evening meal and I'm trying to watch Lock, Stock and Barrels as I sit at my keyboard.

Thanks Rolf

Wolsty