DIY Polar Mount

aitch

Reaction score
Hi People,
Has anyone seen a website with details of Polar mount designs.?
I travel a lot, around Europe and want to watch TV on the Laptop.
I would like to build something like a Sweety dish which could be rigged up quickly to track the popular Satellites near the Astras.
I was thinking of a small easily dismantled assembly to tuck in a bag with some sort of very small jack to operate it.

Thanks in anticipation

aitch

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would be inclined to use a diseqC motor, then you can drive it with a Skystar2 USB as your receiver. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The problem with a DIY polarmount is the initial North/South setup and the use of a single motor drive

Better to use a dual axis unit from the word go

aitch

Reaction score
Hi,
By dual axis do you mean 2 motors.?
Not bothering with a polar mount and position but just tracking by relative geometric positions.?
Remember this is a miniature setup to be carried around.

I have seen on some Gin Palaces ( Motor Cruisers ) a system like his which finds the satellite using gps and then holds to the satellite carrier signal to maintain a connection even at sea.

I would be interested in seeing if any software exists to use a travelling dual axis system. But 2 stepper motors and gearing etc.......expensive.

aitch

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
No need to use stepper motors

Most of the astronomy sites will have a tracking system built for a laptop to drive a telescope

Elsewhere on this site there was some discussion just under a year ago on a similar subject

aitch

Reaction score
Hi again,
I am designing this motorised polar mount, but with 2 motors.
The main motor will obviously drive the polar axis.

The second I think would best be the declination adjustment.
Or, would it be best to adjust elevation.

I am thinking of situations where I would want to find a satellite quickly and not bother about tracking across the others.

My logic is that in a longer term stay, I would setup accurately and use the diseqc to move the dish alone thereby not needing any extra software.

any input appreciated

aitch

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
A declination adjustment is more difficult to achieve on a small system as the gearing would have to be extremely low to attain accuracy

Most systems up to about 2.4m use a motor on the elevation part of the system to adjust for the North / South movement of the satellite. and this works with little problem when used for the tracking. Ideally for tracking inclined orbit satellites near the horizon the need of a declination adjustment becomes important, but for a simple pointing device for domestic fixed satellites, the need for daily tracking is unneccessary.

trygveth

Reaction score
aitch said:
Hi again,
I am designing this motorised polar mount, but with 2 motors.
The main motor will obviously drive the polar axis.

The second I think would best be the declination adjustment.
Or, would it be best to adjust elevation.

I am thinking of situations where I would want to find a satellite quickly and not bother about tracking across the others.

My logic is that in a longer term stay, I would setup accurately and use the diseqc to move the dish alone thereby not needing any extra software.

any input appreciated

aitch

Hi !

Can you shear your polarmount drawings / plans ? I am going to build a polarm. for my 2m alu dish. Can you help ?

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately aitch has not been on the forum for two years, so the likelyhood of him coming back to read you post is pretty remote.

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
What a shame! what a great thread... maybe we can gently hijack it and carry on with it :D