Dm 500 freezing (Not the picture)

jpsr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 channel master, cm polar mount, 12 inch actuator, Andrews feedhorn, Inverto lnb, Superjack positioner, Dreambox dm 500s, Protek 9600ip, 1m channel master with black ultra & 1m gibertini with technomate twin output lnb on astra 1/2, TM 5200 & 1000
My Location
Mullingar, Ireland
Sometimes when i am goin through the menus or moving to different sats the menus start to freeze or go real slow,
And most times i have to reboot or switch it off if its completely froze.

This is a new dm 500, have it a few months, but i had the same problem with my last dm 500.
I have tryed a few different images and now use the pli image as it seems the best.

Has anyone ever had this problem, and is there a way to fix it.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
jpsr said:
Sometimes when i am goin through the menus or moving to different sats the menus start to freeze or go real slow,
And most times i have to reboot or switch it off if its completely froze.

This is a new dm 500, have it a few months, but i had the same problem with my last dm 500.
I have tryed a few different images and now use the pli image as it seems the best.

Has anyone ever had this problem, and is there a way to fix it.

where is VAR located, on your box or have you networked it to a pc or network hard drive? sometimes this can cause it to lock up I`ve found, even with pli jade it still locked up, when VAR is located on the box and it gets too full, that can also cause the box to run slow and lock up too

only thing I`ve found that keeps it sort of stable is to keep var on the box in the flash chip and to keep VAR quite empty, unfortunately this means I have to sacrifice any flashy EPGs and under used plugins

the only thing I`ve found to get the box back on when it locks up like that is to kill the power at the switch on the back for 5 seconds and turn it back on

jpsr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 channel master, cm polar mount, 12 inch actuator, Andrews feedhorn, Inverto lnb, Superjack positioner, Dreambox dm 500s, Protek 9600ip, 1m channel master with black ultra & 1m gibertini with technomate twin output lnb on astra 1/2, TM 5200 & 1000
My Location
Mullingar, Ireland
smoggy07 said:
where is VAR located, on your box or have you networked it to a pc or network hard drive? sometimes this can cause it to lock up I`ve found, even with pli jade it still locked up, when VAR is located on the box and it gets too full, that can also cause the box to run slow and lock up too

only thing I`ve found that keeps it sort of stable is to keep var on the box in the flash chip and to keep VAR quite empty, unfortunately this means I have to sacrifice any flashy EPGs and under used plugins

the only thing I`ve found to get the box back on when it locks up like that is to kill the power at the switch on the back for 5 seconds and turn it back on

I only have 1 skin downloaded, but my var used is 67%.

Is there anything i can delete to free up my var.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
jpsr said:
I only have 1 skin downloaded, but my var used is 67%.

Is there anything i can delete to free up my var.

what PLi do you have installed?

Try PLi Jade MaxVar _http://openpli.org/download/dm500-maxvar/ those are the nightly builds but I`m not sure which one you should pick, I`d go for the latest one personaly if I was going to reflash

The MaxVar version is a lightweight version that doesn`t take up as much space in Var

A nonymous

Reaction score
I find the older Maxvar images work well with the DM500.

I've always used nabilosat 0.8 maxvar :D

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
67% full var doesn't sound too high. Unfortunately the DM500 isn't the most reliable unit, which is why I changed to a 7020. Do you have lots of plugins installed?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
My 7020 does the same if I change channels too fast and its been on all day. Leave it alone for 10 minutes and it will sometime recover itself

Its seems to just run out of memory resources - which is why a reboot clears the problem - it empties the memory buffers.

Remember all 500's have been clones for several years now, and many of them are cheaply and badly built in the first place.