Dm 800, No signal

Ross Mortimer

Reaction score
Good day..
First of all I am a newbie to Dreambox and satelite and been having a problem getting started.

I am in South Africa trying to connect to the pas7/10 satellite. I noticed when going to sat finder my SNR is 0% constantly and AGC will bounce around between 70 -90.

I have tried moving the dish slowly sweeping in the area the dish pointer has shown me but cannot find anything on signal or get a lock. I dont have a motor so this is done by hand.

Im pretty sure i would of picked up something as it was the same general area as my neighbours dishes and the lnb was at the same position.

I ended up taking the the co-ax out the lnb and testing with a multi meter and get just under 13 for V and and just under 18V for H.

It is currently running Nemesis 2.4 But have not flashed any images or installed any software yet.

Obviously i would need a lock on the satellite before i can even scan for any FTA channels?

Do i still need to install any 3rd party software or should it scan for satellites right out the box?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as i stated i am a newbie to satellite receivers and cant get passed here.

I have even looked at lyngsat and set the frequency and symbol rates etc.. to what lyngsat says when looking at sat finder

Thanks

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Installations are easier if you use a satellite meter, even a cheap one, £5-£6. Check the elevation of your dish, also check all the connections, as this is the usual problem.

Ross Mortimer

Reaction score
I've also forgot to add i tested it on a 60cm and 120cm dish both with Ku-band LNB and same result. I also Downloaded a Dish pointer app on my tablet, but the arc keeps moving each time i move the tablet so i have no idea if those apps work.

Also if im getting the coreect voltage reading from the end of the co ax. surely everything should be connected correctly up till there, and im pretty sure the lnb is connected to cable correctly afterwards,

I could possibly ask a friend of mine who works for a tv store if he has a meter

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
You seem to be doing everything correctly. I would also suggest a meter as satellite receivers would take a few seconds to obtain a lock whereas meters (even cheapo beeper ones) would give you an instant indication that you've hit something.

In absence of the meter, I would do as you do with the Satfinder and ensure that the frequency parameters are correct and then move the dish very slowly until you hit something.

Ignore AGC readings - they show you nothing useful (not sure why this reading is even included - I never used this scale) - and concentrate on SNR.