DM startup, can this be done?

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
Hi, a mate of mine asked me today, he said can i have a startup tone on my box like you can on a pc. I told him that probably can but i wasn't sure how you'd do it.

Anyways i looked in the settings and you can change background pictures for various things, but no startup was listed.

So i got told you can create startup scripts, do anybody know of one that will allow an mp3/wav file to be played at startup?

I have a 500-s and obviously the sound will only be a few seconds long.

thanks.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
This is a guess:

1. upload a .mp3 file to your Dreambox.
2. Browse to it and select "Set as startup service"

If that doesn't work you may be able to use it to point to a script rather than an a mp3. Let us know :)

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
what tool do i use to set startup service? i tried DBCC and DBEdit and they don't allow me. Using ftp through the browser won't work.

Do you mean using tux commander? if so what button do i press because the bottom what all the colours mean is off screen when i fire tuxbox commander up.

thanks

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
If mp3 isn't allowed, try *.mpa or *.mpg (a bit heavy in size)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Use the OSD.

FTP your .mp3 to the mp3 folder.

Then on your Dreambox:

menu > File Mode > Root > mp3

If it allows you, select the file and click "menu". Scroll down to "set as startup service".

If you don't know how to FTP full details are in The Guide. Have a go and let us know how you get on.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
thank's, will try it tomorrow

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ok i tried this today, i tried with both .mp3 and .mpg formats and it didn't work.

You can upload to the /var folder but not the root folder as it does not let you, not sure if this is a factor to do with it.

Anyways you press menu on the file and it doesn't show anything about "set asd startup service", i also tried uploading a .wav file and it doesn't even show in the file mode.

As for .mpa my audio program couldn't convert to that format, but again maybe it's just the 500-s that doesn't allow thing's as startup service, not unless it has to somehow be in that root folder and nowhere else.

Do you need to give access rights to that folder? or chmod the mp3?

thanks

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
What is the size of the memory still left in the /var ?
What is the size of the mp3 file that you wanted to upload?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
It can't play a .wav

The mpg file should be .mpg2 or .ts : you can use VLC to save a file as a .ts

Did you try a file that you recorded i.e. a program or radio show, as proof of concept?

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
i uploaded an mpg and a mp3, i can play the file by going through file mode, just nothing to let me set it as a startup service, although i can add it to playlist, banquets etc.

My memory isn't full, i only uploaded a 300kb file so it should be fine, i have about 70% full on my var so it should be fine.

The mepg i saved it into mpeg2 format in my audio editor and no joy.

So the file should be in /var?

I have a 500-s so i cannot record anything, my memory will fill up in a few seconds if i did that.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
OK. I will try it on my 7000S tonight and see if I can get it to work.
If it works with mpa (using my PCI Nexus-S card), I can then upload a small file so you can test it on your box.:)

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ok, i also tried converting a mpeg in vlc and it won't let me transocde/save to file which is odd.

it wont transcode an mpeg-2 file to an mpeg-ts file so it may not convert, but thank's for the feedback, would be interesting to see what other's manage to do.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
.mp3 appears not have the option to "set as startup service".

As you have a 500 I thought you'd be recording to your PC hard drive.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Uploaded a small mpg file to /var and also to a subfolder in the /hdd. No problem with uploading.
But when I select the file and use menu, there is no "Set as startup service" option.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
same happened to me, don't know what you need to do for this startup service, maybe it only work's for thing's such as plugin's

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Rename the .mpg to a .ts extension and see if it adds the "set as startup service" to the menu options.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
no, that doesn't work either, same as when you upload an mpeg

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Which menu options are you pressing to try this? Is there a var/hdd or var/mnt folder?

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
i press the menu button on the remote, the one where add to playlist, delete etc. comes up, this is on gemini 4.30.

I tried in /var/mnt and nothing about startup on menu, i then tried /var/mnt/hdd and still same happened. This is with a .ts file.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
The "Set as startup service" option seems to work only for TV or Radio channels, but not for files.
I set BBC World as the startup service, zapped to a different channel, shutdown box and then switched on box and BBC World was on.