minortom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500S
Household LAN
Linux servers (no doze here)
My Location
Berkshire
Always nice to start a new forum with a solution rather than a problem :-)

Got a brand new DM500S, and a motor (Rotot sat HH100) going west to east, after
I'm out of the trees it works great up to 28.3E ... which is a pain given how many services there are there :-(

Anyhow to cut a long story shor the problem is a bad entry in the shipped satellite.xml
it has line with freq=9999999 (or more) this cuases the DB it crash/hang. So instead
of pointing E it's waving around off the wst somewhere. The other sympton is it has no
known transponders.

The solution, delete the line, bingo it all works ... I did reboot but it that but might not have been needed (I'd locked it up!).

How did I edit it? Dead easy with emacs(1) on a Fedora (Linux) box, there's a mode that
allows FTP (able) files to be edited just like local files, so desktop editing and dreambox editing are seamless....seems a lot easier that some of grief I see in discussions :-)

... BTW in playing aound with this, I took my palm (with WiFi) into the garden, dead useful to use the web interface to joggle the dish around while standing next to it... must take up the ladder next time !

rhubarbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600PVR (Poorly)
TF6000 (Poorly)
SkyHD
My Location
Cheshire
Does it not worry you that you invalidate the dm-500s warranty by using it to power a diseqc motor?

Diseqc motor require 14V, dm-500s output 12V. DMM don't like this. Still can't get my head around the fact that the sats menu has the controls to do something that you lose your warranty for doing.

minortom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500S
Household LAN
My Location
Berkshire
rhubarb said:
Does it not worry you that you invalidate the dm-500s warranty by using it to power a diseqc motor?
...elided...

Nope, since the manual lists DiSEqC 1.2 in the tech specs and instructions explain
how to setup & install it.

Also it's not just the gui that offers it, it would not work at all unless they had installed the hardware to generate the currents.

rhubarbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600PVR (Poorly)
TF6000 (Poorly)
SkyHD
My Location
Cheshire
Oh, I know, I know. I want to buy one of these, in fact I'd like two, and I have read all about the DiSEqC 1.2 setup in the manual.

I have also read this page, which, though from DMM Australia, clearly states that damage caused by using a powered DiSEqC motor invalidates warranty. Here's the page:

http://www.dream-multimedia.com.au/dm500S.php

Anybody got any views on this?

favoretti

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 78cm, Dreambox 500s, HUMAX 5300-VACI, Dreambox 7020

Athlon 64-3000+-S939
1.5G RAM
My Location
Netherlands
rhubarb said:
Oh, I know, I know. I want to buy one of these, in fact I'd like two, and I have read all about the DiSEqC 1.2 setup in the manual.

I have also read this page, which, though from DMM Australia, clearly states that damage caused by using a powered DiSEqC motor invalidates warranty. Here's the page:

http://www.dream-multimedia.com.au/dm500S.php

Anybody got any views on this?

I'm using a DM500 with a DiSEqC motor for a few months now, not damaged, no nothing, however I can't make it work with GotoXX function. Will get a 7020 Dreambox on Wednesday and will see how it's gonna work with that.

rhubarbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600PVR (Poorly)
TF6000 (Poorly)
SkyHD
My Location
Cheshire
Has anybody got GotoXX working with a DM-500?

minortom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500S
Household LAN
My Location
Berkshire
rhubarb said:
Has anybody got GotoXX working with a DM-500?

Yep, working fine with gotoXX (this is a rotor sat HH100) ... btw this quotes operating voltages of 13-18 V just quoting slower speeds for lower voltages. I've not tested my
LV supply, but I did for a couple of 9V supplies for DVD players etc and they were somthing like 10V and 12Vso most of this stuff is not very accurate.

More of an issue of course is the current , the HH100 quotes max 350ma (ouch) but 190ma in operating mode ... so I guess 350ma at startup

rhubarbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600PVR (Poorly)
TF6000 (Poorly)
SkyHD
My Location
Cheshire
But does it work with aftermarket images?

minortom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500S
Household LAN
My Location
Berkshire
rhubarb said:

Ahh! Only recently got the DM500S. Can't understand the drive to install the 'alternate images' ... I gather some have dodgy codes etc, but aside from that, why?

(I assume the answer is of the form XXX has these features YYY) is there anywhere to get lists of XXX and YYY?

What I was intending to do (when I have the time) is just build a new image from the original source code. I guess the I'd like to snaffle any 'must have fatures' from other sources ... I've not had time to get a handle on this yet, I'm assuming they are all GPL?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I think you'll find no-one here uses the image or settings shipped with their Dreambox. Many use Gemini and once set up you don't need to worry about whether gotoxx works (it didn't for me when I was setting it up but then realised it could be ignored) or not- ie you select the channel you want to watch and the dish moves (if needed) to the stored position for that satellite.

Or have I misunderstood your post?

minortom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500S
Household LAN
My Location
Berkshire
rhubarbe said:

Now working with latest pli image, works great.