Paul_HU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD
PC: Windows 10
My Location
Hungary
Hi everyone,

I have recently bought a Dreambox 5600. It's packed in the box of a DM5620 but the Etherenet port is dead. I want to use the serial port for connecting my DM to the PC but most images don't support ppp. Others said Hydra image supported ppp but I couldn't connect the machines. Pppd on my Linux sends back error messages such as: "receiving serial link is not 8 bit clean all bit 7 set to 0" and "tcflush failed bad file descriptor". Could anyone help me? Please!
Paul

P.S. I went through all the advices I could find in the net. So need some creative thinking.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Is your box 5600 or 5620 ? If 5600 then the attached method is used. If it is 5620 ppp does not work without first telnet through the ethernet. I tried with my 5620 when I lost ethernet connection and it did not work. If yours has a ethernet port it is likely to be a 5620.

What do you mean your ethernet port is dead ? Do you see the red light on connection?

If you connect with Hyperterminal press return immediately after connection, you should see a log. Please post it here ; that might indicate why your ethernet port is not working.

Regards, pcd.

Paul_HU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD
My Location
Hungary
Thanks for the immediate answer!!! I ordered my box as a 5600. I even paid less for it. I mean by Ethernet is dead that on Windows it says: Ethernet is not plugged in (or something like this because I am Hungarian and my Windows is too). My Linux says: network is unreachable. Actually I called a service and they told me that the company sold some defected dm5620 motherboards as 5600.
Thanks for the attached material I'm going to review it. Hyperterminal worked nicely with the newest Hydra image I could read the debug messages. Right now I have another image in my box which definetely doesn't support ppp (no debug in Hyperterminal, I tried). In a couple of days I will put back Hydra and do what you suggested and copy the messages here.
By the way, do you know how many times I may flash my box without damaging the EPROM (or CRAM or whatever)?
Regards
Paul

Paul_HU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD
My Location
Hungary
I just looked in the zip file. This is the Australian page I have also found and tried everything. That particular image (v101) does support ppp, ftp immediately connencted but the image itself is a piece of sh**. It freezes, doesn't change channel, the picture is vibrating. And no plugins at all.

Paul

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Paul_HU said:
I just looked in the zip file. This is the Australian page I have also found and tried everything. That particular image (v101) does support ppp, ftp immediately connencted but the image itself is a piece of sh**. It freezes, doesn't change channel, the picture is vibrating. And no plugins at all.

Paul

That 101 image is very old. PPP should work with hydra, but your box type is not the normal 5600, that is why it is probably not working. I assume you have visited the Sat-industry forum where there is a lot of information on ppp with 5600. As I said earlier my 5620 (when the ethernet was not working) did not work with PPP.

If your box has a ethernet connection at the back, connect it to the computer and see if it works. Have you tried it ? I have no experience with linux so I don't know how the networking is done.

Paul_HU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD
My Location
Hungary
Hi,

I also thought there might have been something wrong with my box. Still I can't see any reason why ppp worked with v101 and didn't with Hydra. When I connected the PC and the box by Ethernet I set IP addresses, mask, gateway and Windows showed no connection ("Ethernet cabel is not plugged in").
I think I'll try to sell my box and buy a real 5620. Or a 7000.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Paul

harry1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m dish
0.2 dB LNB
Dreambox 5620
XP PC, connected via MRi ADSL router to BTInternet's ADSL
I had similar problems with my new 5620. But I had scanned various satellites and had played around with the box trying this and that before I tried the Ethernet port. In the end I did a factory defaults reset using the enigma menu and hey presto, ethernet port sprang to life.

Paul_HU said:
Hi,

I also thought there might have been something wrong with my box. Still I can't see any reason why ppp worked with v101 and didn't with Hydra. When I connected the PC and the box by Ethernet I set IP addresses, mask, gateway and Windows showed no connection ("Ethernet cabel is not plugged in").
I think I'll try to sell my box and buy a real 5620. Or a 7000.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Paul

Paul_HU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD
My Location
Hungary
harry1 said:
I had similar problems with my new 5620. But I had scanned various satellites and had played around with the box trying this and that before I tried the Ethernet port. In the end I did a factory defaults reset using the enigma menu and hey presto, ethernet port sprang to life.

Hi, Harry1,

Yesterday evening my box resurrected. Once, but only once, the ethernet connection worked. So actually it is a faulty 5620 and not equal with the 5600. I wrote a message to sat-industry forum and asked for some advice. Factory reset didn't work for me but I think I try another image (currently I use an "I-have-a-dreambox" image) before I go to the service.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Think carefully what you did before it worked. There may be a clue somewhere !

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
PCD said:

Wise words PCD, wise words!!

Paul_HU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD
My Location
Hungary
PCD said:

Guys! The story is over. Everything works just fine. I flashed a new image and it worked. Thank you all for your useful advices!

Paul

skidy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm7020
1m motorised dish.
Dell Precision 560 (twin processor )
My Location
NW-UK
Good evening all,

I've got a 5600 running a Hydra image with working pppd and I am now able to connect to the internet (what a pain that was ! ).

My questions are :-

Have I totally wasted my time or not ?

Please confirm the Hydra contol center down ?

If so, are there any other alternatives for me to be able to update on line, or is it a case of just getting myself a DM box with a proper ethernet connection so that I am able to use alternative images and update accordingly ?

Thanks in advance

skidy1

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
skidy1 said:
Please confirm the Hydra contol center down ?
Welcome Skidy1 :-Welcome1

May appear to be, but it is up dated regularly - the SCAMs and K*ys are updated so continue to use if that's what you want.

pjmpjm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ss2
My Location
Portugal
I found a 5600 at a good price. Do you think it's a good option for nagravision (1 and 2)?
Thanks

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
pjmpjm said:
I found a 5600 at a good price. Do you think it's a good option for nagravision (1 and 2)?

:-Welcome1

It is at the moment, but things change, as Nag 1 and 2 have been compromised and they will probably be replaced.

No guarantees how long this will take.

Dreambox receivers are hard work and you will need a fair amount of computer knowledge. Like everything, the more effort you put in the greater the reward.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
pjmpjm said:
Thanks

You can set up pppd connection with a null modem cable, then it networks with the pc and and you can ftp the necessary emus and k*ys to clear all available channels including nagra 1 and 2. But, and this is a big but, you will be very limited in future in choice of images, only one Hydra I know is available for pppd. My view is that it is a lame duck, better buy a cheap patchable box. Regards, pcd.