DM800 frozen "dhcp... /flash/vmlinux.gz"

yarali46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 HD PVR
My Location
Turkey
Hi,

My DM800 was frozen yesterday. When watching an HD channel it gave a full green screen and then nothing. That happened before and i always solved the problem just by unplugging the power and plug it bak in. But this time it doesn't help.

Now, when I open it, it's frozen and the led screen shows "dhcp... /flash/vmlinux.gz" only.

I tried waiting for long time (for more than 1 hour) it stays the same.
I tried unplugging power for long time (whole night) and problem is still the same.

On the other hand, I wasn't using dhcp, i made it have a fixed local IP, in order to prevent IP changes after reboot. Now when I ping, it's not reachable either (ping worked before)

What is the problem and how can I solve it? Please help..

xavk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dishes:
Triax110 fixed to 5,9,13,16,19. Sky mini dish with Octo LNB. Triax88 on TM2200 rotor with quad LNB
Receivers:
Dm800 (5,9,13,16,19,28+rotor), TM500, TM600, DM500 (all 13,19,28+rotor)
My Location
East London
Sounds like the image some how got corrupted. I would suggest a re-flash via serial.

yarali46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 HD PVR
My Location
Turkey
How can i connect my laptop to dreambox serial?
manual says i should use null-modem serial cable, but my laptop doesn't have an rs232 output..

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
You will need to get a USB to serial cable/converter OR
You could try holding down the button on the front while plugging in the power and if the display shows you an IP address then you can flash using your web browser : Open firefox/IE, go to http://<ip displayed> and select update firmware at bottom of page, then select the image you want to flash and click flash.

Before you do the above, make sure you have a DHCP server available for the dreambox to get an IP from - typically this will be your router.

yarali46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 HD PVR
My Location
Turkey
Hi, i cannot use IP connection because dm800 cannot connect to network. so i tried serial connection. i bought a usb-to-serial converter (installed necessary drivers). then connected the laptop and dm800 with null-modem serial cable.

i run DreamUp, i choose the Com port that the usb-serial converter installed, and i press Connect button. DreamUp says it has connected to Com port and says i should open dm800 now. so i open it but nothing changed. dm800 still shows the same screen, and nothing happens on DreamUp.

any ideas?

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
When you say
so i open it but nothing changed
Do you mean plug in the power cord?

yarali46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 HD PVR
My Location
Turkey
yes.

that's the only way to on/off the dm800 right now. because power button doesn't work. when the power plug is in, it led screen stops at "dhcp... /flash/vmlinux.gz" and dm800 is completely unresponsive to anything done to it, power button on/off, pressing power button for long time, plugging ethernet cable in/out etc...

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
Provided your USB/serial converter and null modem cable works (did you try it to connect to something else), it sounds like your box has died, most likely blown flash. Return it to the dealer if it is still under waranty. This could have been caused by overheating if it was not in a well ventilated place. It is also more likely if you had an internal hard drive installed.

tomthebomb1968

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo 250gig/ DreamElite BH 1.3.2 Multiboot

Dreambox 500s-(clone) / DM-600

Relook 400s 160 Gig-/SifTeam 1.93 e enigma

Foretec 90cm Dish with Nikkai Diseqc Motor- 2 sky+ receivers fixed 28.2 east.
My Location
Newtownabbey, near Belfast, Northern Ireland
I also tried a USB/SERIAL converter with dreamup and couldn't get it working. I think it is Dreamup where the problem lies as the converter works fine with flashtools for Relook/IPbox receivers.

yarali46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 HD PVR
My Location
Turkey
there's no problem with the usb/serial converter, i can use it to connect to POS machine and it works fine.

however, there has been a new development for me. when i plug the power while power button is pressed, the ***STOP*** screen opens now and the box gets an ip via dhcp. it didn't work before.. well, now i'll try to flash the dmbox.. let you know about the result...

thanks everyone.

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
If the box is still in warranty I would return it to the dealer you bought it from as it seems like the flash is failing intermittently, unless you have changed something in what you did. These things don't fix themselves and if you dont exchange the box and it gets out of warranty then you are stuck with the problem. There is the off-chance that your DHCP server had failed and is now back online, but if that was the problem, it still means your flash got corrupted reporting no OS which is why it hangs waiting for a DHCP supplied IP.

yarali46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 HD PVR
My Location
Turkey
hi,

it got worse :(

i finally reached the box via web interface and flashed gemini2-470-dm800-201002090910.nfi. now when i open the box, it's frozen with the dreambox logo on screen. no response to any actıon and can't reach the box.

then i tried flashing with dreamup, tried different versions and finally dreamup 1.3.4 worked. i flashed using dreamup also, but problem remains the same :(

do i have a choice to erase everything and start from scratch?

shumifan50, this box has no warranty or whatever.. i am stuck with it..

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
If its a clone you're on your own - most likely the Gemini image bricked it.

yarali46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 HD PVR
My Location
Turkey
i have it running at last but still problems.

i found a post "DM800 (Clone) Idiot's guide to latest images & drivers - All files included ( Long)" which saved me alot for now. according to this post, i followed step by step and now i have flashed with oozoon image and secondstage, with tuner removed. it worked. then i treied the same with tuner installed. it's all same for flashing images.

but my drembox doesn't see any tuner in tuner configuration menu. do i miss something for tuner installation or configuration?

this is the manual i have tried.
_http://www.dreambox-tr.com/forum/f426/dm800-clone-idiots-guide-latest-images-drivers-all-files-included-long-2355.html

yarali46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 HD PVR
My Location
Turkey
problem solved finally. thanks everyone for their help.

here is how:
i flashed gemini 4.2 image and secondstage 72 using dreamup 1.3.4. and that's all. didn't load any dvb tuner driver, didn't change *.ko files.

when watching HD channels, the box was freezing at most 1 minutes later. i thought that was because of heating, so i got a fan but couldn't try it since my box went dead :) now i will try that for HD channels.

i cannot even complain about tuner failed error, sid not found error, or slowness in channel transitions yet :))

thanks again, you're great!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm 800hd pvr
My Location
jersey
hi guys complete newbie to this forum and dm boxes so please bear with me.
i seem to have the same issue as yarali 46 but dont seem to understand how he dealt with it.
i purchased a dm 800hd pvr. when i switched it on the oled display reads "dhcp... /flash/vmlinux.gz" only. box is frozen with no picture on screen.
i have read various forums on solutions with no success.
i have tried holding on button while plugging it in and get this message " *** stop*** with my box ip address above.
have also tried booting using dreamup 1 3 3 9
the message is connection prepared now switch on dreambox. after connecting still nothing happens.
can any of you guys shed some light on this and help me solve the issue.
it is driving me mad please please please
all the best