Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.2 1224 H2H. Traix TD88. Sky+
Echostar 3600.
P4 2k. Broadband 2
My Location
Buckingamshire UK
Hi.

I currently have a Echostar 3600IPVA (upgraded from an 3000) Before the upgrade I was toying with the idea of an Dreambox or Triple Dragon. I then decided on an Manhattan 550 but was advised to get the Echostar as it gives better pics than the Manhattan. However, I found the Echostar to be a bit slow and the menu system very clunky and horrid looking.

Now. What benifit would I get by having a Dreambox? Seeing as channels are becoming more secure etc. It looks like a fab receiver. I wont have any problem with the IT side of things.

Hope someone can give me some advantags!

:-ohmy

Cheers!

D4ftpunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
Dreambox DM500
Sky Thomsom Digibox
StrongSat FTA Reciever
80cm Dish + 45cm Dish via Disecq A/B.
My Location
England
The dreambox is totally mouldable to your needs, you can basically change anything about it. Its great value too, i would definatly recommend it over any receiver.

I agree some of the newer echostars are sluggish a lil, i do like the Picture in EPG thing though :p

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I agree about the Dreambox, it is what you want it to be, unless of course you want something for feed hunting, as the tuner is not the best, but everything else is great. :)

I've also been keeping my eyes on the other Linux receiver sections, as they are looking pretty good with support now, particularly the Triple Dragon.

antantant1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky pace box
topfield 5000 with hotbird and hispa using t rex cam also art card
My Location
spain
hello all
i'm going to sound a little stupid now but i've never delt with this system and the bar up the road as just got a nokia d-box with a motor dish 1.8(for lanzarote) and all he did was plug it stright into the internet and he get's everything like art sport sky calcio and soo on could some one give me a little idot some info on how this all works and what u have to pay for it thank you all so much

jase42001

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
antantant1 said:
hello all
i'm going to sound a little stupid now but i've never delt with this system and the bar up the road as just got a nokia d-box with a motor dish 1.8(for lanzarote) and all he did was plug it stright into the internet and he get's everything like art sport sky calcio and soo on could some one give me a little idot some info on how this all works and what u have to pay for it thank you all so much

:) Hi, I am not familiar with the Nokia box, however I have had a 7000s for nearly 2 years on a motorised setup and I have never looked back. Once (as you said) connected to the net and keys updated the possibilities of viewing (certain) encrypted packages is available, however the ones that you mentioned I am not too sure about unless your mate in the bar is card sharing ;)

Jase

antantant1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky pace box
My Location
spain
how does the card sharing system work then does the box have to be in the bar or could it be anywhere in the work what do u use the dreambox
thank you for your reply

jase42001

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Card sharing is sharing original cards from a server that can be accesed via a dreambox or other sat equipment that can see the internet. It can be quite difficult to get into one of the groups that run a share system as most rely on a new member having a subscription/card that they can share also.

antantant1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky pace box
My Location
spain
so lets say i offer a card to a group and be a card sharing would they let me in where can i find a group for this

jase42001

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
:) I am not the right person to ask for a cardshare but if you try and extensively search google etc you will come accross cardsharing groups. You then need to be very polite when asking!!!

antantant1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky pace box
My Location
spain
ok i think i'm starting to get this can u card share of a pc then will it open up stuff like tps...tv cabo...and d+ with software

jase42001

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
antantant1 said:
ok i think i'm starting to get this can u card share of a pc then will it open up stuff like tps...tv cabo...and d+ with software

At the moment all tps & cabo/D+ is open with the available keys that you can download from the net so you dont need cardshare.

My Dreambox is networked so I can download directly to the box or download to my desktop on my PC and FTP any information etc to the box if that makes sense :)

antantant1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky pace box
My Location
spain
i've just seen a box that is pvr ready a dreambox do i just plug in and away i go download chan's and so on

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
a dreambox do i just plug in and away i go

No. A Dreambox is not plug and play- it takes effort and learning. Once you've got it running it's fairly straightforward. If you want an easy box (regardless of the features) look elsewhere. If you're keen then get one and your journey begins O-Ha

antantant1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky pace box
My Location
spain
na i'm 100% gonna get one
looks ace thank you all for your help once again top stuff

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Like has been said a dreambox is a brilliant receiver that you can customise to your very own needs, they way it looks on screen to the channels you receive.

once its set up you will have your cake and eat it, as it were.... but its the setting up that most people fall down on, basically if you hate PCs and cant get your head round PC software etc... stay away.

its definately not a plug in and start to watch kind of box at all, but the rewards are there if you try... you will of course get loads of help on here too

Put it this way, ive had my Dreambox 7000s for 2 years now, and i wouldnt swap my box for nothing else.... i love it :)

its everything i thought it would be when i bought it :) and more....

but in the first few weeks after buying it, i have to admit i thought id made a mistake, theres quite a bit to take in at first.

But hey, thats half the fun :)

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
digiguy said:
Hope someone can give me some advantags!
well, let's think
- it's basically a unix computer so when it freezes you push alt-ctrl-del to reboot the box (no, that's not a joke)
- you plug it into your network
- you give it access to the internet
- you can load & install several images to your liking
- with a USB stick you can set it up for multi-boot images
- it has a hard disk for recording programmes on it (not on all models !)
- using the LAN it can be controlled from a remote pc
- you can even watch the dreambox stream on this remote pc, great if you're lying on the grass during the summer months
- there are loads of pc tools for controlling every aspect of that box, be it ftp, telnet, recording settings, key updating, or more
- you can write your own scripts and launch them at pre-determined times
- you can copy any recorded programme to your pc and edit it and burn it onto a dvd
- using the internet, it will fetch key-files or EPG listings
- you have 2 card slots, one common interface ànd a serial port
- the card slots are controlled by software, which can be upgraded when new cards or protocols arrive
- the same goes for the emulators used to descramble the channels
- you can download & install skins
- you can make your own skin
- you can download & play games on it, like pacman, chess and much much more
- you can download and use a wealth of plugins written by enthousiastic amateurs and professionals
- you can get weather reports for your area, or maps of foreign countries, there even is a world-wide list of webcams available (yes, with pictures)
- yes, you CAN browse the internet too (better on pc, though)
- going even further, you can share official cards between several users
- you can use it to display your holiday pictures
- and last but not least : you can use it as a mp3 player

all this from that tiny box. Need I say more ?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Disdvantages:

1. Glaring at it doesn't make it work.
2. You can't hit it with a hammer.

(if you get one it will make sense :-rofl2)

digiguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.2 1224 H2H. Traix TD88. Sky+
Echostar 3600.
P4 2k. Broadband 2
My Location
Buckingamshire UK
Thanks for all the info, the Dream Box looks like something I want

Cheers

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 9000HD, Super DARK MOTOR, 80cm Dish, SKY+ HD, HTPC w/7MC
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
mhku said:
2. You can't hit it with a hammer.

though you will want to many time in the 1st few days...

not to put you off, but im a computer programmer and i got very frustrated early on...

but well worth it in the end...

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Do a sales pitch for a Dreambox

Buy one!!! NOW!!!

or we will send the boys round for a visit :-bash GGrrrrrrr

oh wrong kind of sales pitch, oh i am sorry :-doh!