Do I have visions?

frantheviking

Reaction score
My Location
Madrid, Spain
Today, I have been rotating my dish in order to try to get a better reception, and why not... try to get bbc, even though knowing that it is pretty difficult in Madrid with a 90cms dish

The first of my incredibly discovers has been find the right position for the 28.2E satellite, and as well the position of the dish wasn't heading for the 28E... that's incredible, Can anyone explain it to me?

Thanks

P.S.: I still have no bbc on my tv ;-)

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Do you mean that you discovered that your dish is not pointing 28 deg east of south yet is receiving signals from 28e?

The position of a satellite is its position above the equator, that is Astra2 is 28.2 deg east of south at the equator. So to receive the satellite the dish points at the spot 28e of south at the equator, which, in very few locations, will actually be 28e of south.

To find the exact angle you should be pointing a dish download the SMW link from here http://www.smw.se/smwlink/smwlink.htm and enter your long and lat and also the position of the satellite you want. You will then get the correct compass bearing and elevation, along with LNB skew.

Also for Madrid 90cms is too small for BBC/ITV, check out www.astra2d.co.uk and some of the other threads in this section for more information from people in your area.

frantheviking

Reaction score
My Location
Madrid, Spain
Well, that's what I mean... but perhaps, my echostar is mocking me... I don't know

What do you really want to mean? E.g.: Hotbird 13ºE is not at 13ºEast???

Thanks

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
frantheviking said:
...What do you really want to mean? E.g.: Hotbird 13ºE is not at 13ºEast???...

Yes and no, depending on where you are.

If you imagine the earth as a ball, with a line horizontally around the centre (the equator) and on that line there is a mark representing 0 degrees east/south. Now thirteen degrees east of that line (with 360 degrees being all the war round) Hotbird would be found. So Hotbird is 13 degrees east of south.

However, if you imagine you are looking at the satellite from the surface of the ball, the angle at which you are looking at it changes depending on where you are. If you are very far east you look at it from a different angle from if you were very far west, there is only one line of longitude in which the satellite is 13 degrees east of south from the ground.

I think this is all correct, but someone with more of an understanding might be able to correct me or word it better.

marcoh64

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Netherlands
Fully correct PoloMint. Only 1 thing to add, satellites are sometimes moved a little, but the name stay the same as not to confuse things to much.

frantheviking

Reaction score
My Location
Madrid, Spain
Ok, I will do tonight... I hope to find the satellite with the use of a compass and a sat beeper I have just bought

Regards

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
But remember,28.2 east is the compass reading from the meridian line,which runs right down great britain.In Cyprus it is almost due south on my compass.

frantheviking

Reaction score
My Location
Madrid, Spain
Thank you very much for the information.. I will see if I can get it