do these figures look right

T

thuynh7

Hi all

Just a quick question, I'm trying to locate hotbird 13 east, I've read one of teh sticky posts, can some one look at these figures and see if they are correct:-

my location (according to Multimap - SE14 London)

Lat: 51:28:44N (51.479) Lon: 0:02:29W (-0.0414) (can some one tell me what the brackets are?????)

13e (hotbird) minus 2.29w = 13 + 2.29 =15.29e

So I need to be pointing my sat at 15.29 degrees to pick up Hotbird 13.

The elevation on my motor should be set to 51.28 degress (my Latitude)

One further question, okay I've set my motor to an elevation of 51.29 degrees, but the actual dish needs to elevated to a position aswell, how do i work this out.

thanks all

J

Jeff_19341

The numbers in brackets are the decimal of your lat and long and these are the figures that you use for setting up your gear.

The dish latitude should be 51.5 (nearest to 51.479) or elevation 0f 90-latitude = 38.5.
Which motor are you useing?
The look angle for Hotbird from your location is 163degrees the skew of the LNB is 10degrees clockwise looking into the dish.
Your long is 0 (zero) for all intents and purposes.
The satellite position ie Hotbird at 13 east or Hispasat at 30west is it's position in space over the equator. Your look angle differs because of your location on the planet.

T

thuynh7

Hi thanks for the reply

Can you explain how you got 163 degrees? Is this 163 degrees of North or south?

The motor I'm using is an old SM2UNI

JuMbuCk said:
The numbers in brackets are the decimal of your lat and long and these are the figures that you use for setting up your gear.

The dish latitude should be 51.5 (nearest to 51.479) or elevation 0f 90-latitude = 38.5.
Which motor are you useing?
The look angle for Hotbird from your location is 163degrees the skew of the LNB is 10degrees clockwise looking into the dish.
Your long is 0 (zero) for all intents and purposes.
The satellite position ie Hotbird at 13 east or Hispasat at 30west is it's position in space over the equator. Your look angle differs because of your location on the planet.

jpmm

Reaction score
Quality site, man! Thanks, just what I have been looking for.

thanks.

T

thuynh7

Hi
Was taught geography at school but not this sort of stuff.

thanks for directing me to that site.

But can you explain this:-

re: The dish latitude should be 51.5 (nearest to 51.479) or elevation 0f 90-latitude = 38.5.

does this mead that the dish should be tilted 51.5 degrees or 38.5 degrees

regards

JuMbuCk said:
Look angles from this link http://satlex.de/en/azel_calc-first_1.html
North is zero, East is 90, South is 180 and west is 270.
Just a question, were you taught Geography at school (For a survey that I am doing)?
Hence 163 degrees is 17 degrees east of south.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Those figures do not apply to the dish, but to the motor, your motor may have both an elevation scale and also a lattitude scale, or just one of them, whivhever you have use the correct figure from your post again.

The dish setting is called the declination and there is usually a calculation for it in the motor handbook.

J

Jeff_19341

Ref "The dish latitude should be 51.5 (nearest to 51.479) or elevation 0f 90-latitude = 38.5."

Very sorry I should have said The Motor latitude should be 51.5 etc

I should not have been drinking that glass of British fortified wine whilst I made that post:-doh!

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
He was pulling your leg ;)

North is zero, south is 180. East is 90, west is 270 degrees.