Do you use chip & pin at Shell petrol stations?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If so read this!

Petrol giant Shell has suspended chip-and-pin payments in 600 UK petrol stations after more than £1m was siphoned out of customers' accounts.
Eight people, including one from Guildford, Surrey, and another from Portsmouth, Hants, have been arrested in connection with the fraud inquiry.

The Association of Payment Clearing Services (Apacs) said the fraud related to just one petrol chain.

Shell said it hoped to reintroduce chip-and-pin as soon as possible.

Plastic crime

The fraud is being investigated by the Metropolitan Police cheque and plastic crime unit.

"These Pin pads are supposed to be tamper resistant, they are supposed to shut down, so that has obviously failed," said Apacs spokeswoman Sandra Quinn.

She said Apacs was confident the problem was specific to Shell and not a systemic issue.

A Shell spokeswoman said: "Shell's chip-and-pin solution is fully accredited and complies with all relevant industry standards.

"We have temporarily suspended chip-and-pin availability in our UK company-owned service stations.

"This is a precautionary measure to protect the security of our customers' transactions.

"You can still pay for your fuel, goods or services with your card by swipe and signature.

"We will reintroduce chip-and-pin as soon as it is possible, following consultation with the terminal manufacturer, card companies and the relevant authorities."

Shell has nearly 1,000 outlets in the UK, 400 of which are run by franchisees who will continue to use chip-and-pin.

BP is also looking into card fraud at petrol stations in Worcestershire but it is not known if this is connected to chip-and-pin.

source:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4980190.stm

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I only used my debit card to take cash out of my bank account, I gave up with Chip and Pin because every time I used it there wasn't enough money in my bank account, with cash in hand I know what I have to spend and Pay"Pal" can't get their hands on it before I do...

R

Rd100

Pay pal are silly's i once had a pay pal account but they blocked my account just because i brought some high value items 'O'-red then they blocked my account and charge me a few charge backs'O'-red , so i sent pay pal a form to take them to the small claims court'O' after that they removed the so called charge backs then i closed the accountO-Ha

I only keep a credit card just incase i need it but never use it i think ive used it once since september i just use my debit card for online stuff as i dont like to have stuff on creditO-no as i have never had any thing on credit at all in my life i like to pay cash for things unless it is online:)

2cvbloke said:
I only used my debit card to take cash out of my bank account, I gave up with Chip and Pin because every time I used it there wasn't enough money in my bank account, with cash in hand I know what I have to spend and Pay"Pal" can't get their hands on it before I do...