Do you want Dwain Chambers to represent GB in the Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well I don't, what about everyone else?

As you've all probably heard, he is taking his case to the high court, I really don't care what he wants, only that anyone who represents us in the Olympics should be honest and not a convicted drug cheat.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
I'd even support Duane Eddy if he had a chance of winning a medal. :-rofl2

Seriously, I don't think Dwain Chambers should be allowed to compete.
It only serves to confuse. Youngsters may consider following in his footsteps if they think they will be given a second chance.

No form of drug taking should be endorsed - well apart from that stuff that keeps me on an even keel.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
No I do not. In fact the whole Olympics ideal has been tainted recently with him, Marion Jones and others.

I had a text read out on London ITV in which I said, "I tend to look at every winner now and wonder if they are on drugs"

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I have also answered no on this one but feel a bit sad in doing so because I have not been following this one on the news or anything so I am not up to speed. But if he has done his time as demanded by the authorities and is now clean whilst a lot of people may have lost faith in him it does seem harsh to continue to penalise him still for the rest of his career, however short that may be.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I haven't voted because I'm not sure. As much as the whole thing disgust me, like Topper says, how long can you keep penalising someone?

Perhaps there should be a much longer ban from competition, or only from top level competition.

He was found to be doping in 2004, so maybe he should be allowed to compete from 2006 but banned from top level competitions until after the next Olympic Games in Beijing (starts next month, so 4 after the offence).

If that were to be the case, Chambers would have still been able to gain trust back but also been 'doing his time' by missing various World, European and Commonwealth Championship and Games. If he was still interested in competing after going through that, you'd have to say he wants it.

However, I don't think for a minute that Chambers helps himself in the way he portrays himself as something of a bad boy. Chambers is far from the iconic example of a 'reborn honest athlete'. It's hard to believe he's truly sorry for what he done.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Maybe the point is that the drugs helped him to build up his body whereby he's now able to maintain it without drugs. So the drugs gave him the start he needed and he would continue to benefit in the future. Clean athletes may have needed to work a lot harder to get to Chamber's level of fitness.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I have to say I've never heard of him so have no idea.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks for correcting the spelling salty. :) I'd never seen it written down. :-rofl2

My reasons for saying no are as follows:

He may have served his ban for non-Olympic competition, but he hasn't for Olympic competition, as it was a lifetime ban and I think that should stay.

By his self centred behaviour, he cost other GB athletes to suffer the disgrace of having medals taken away from them, he no doubt cost other athletes medals in races where he won a medal and pushed them out of the top three.

We will never know whether his drug taking has given him a permanent advantage in body mass and strength, plus he had not been checked during the period of the ban, so could have continued taking the drugs well through that time, only stopping in time for them not to show once back in the testing regime.

He showed very little remorse after the event and refused to help the authorities with information as to who was supplying the drugs to athletes, only now when the information is of little use, has he started to supply it, probably because he feels it will help his case for Olympic reinstatement.

He has no interest whatsoever in the country, only his own private finances, if he wants to earn a living, he can train to do a proper job like the rest of us have had to.

I do not want this egotistic drug cheat running in the name of my country!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No he shouldnt be allowed to compete the cheating git.

Anyone convicted of doping in sport should get a permanent ban at ALL levels.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
I don't think that he should go if it means taking the place of someone who has never taken drugs. Even if the person doesn't stand a chance of getting through the first round, they have earned the right to represent their country and deserve to experience the occasion.

Eddie (The eagle). :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
When he grows a nice pair of tits, (s)he can compete.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Pees me off, just watching Sky news and this is all they are talking about, ignoring the other athletes running in the trials altogether.

What worries me more, is that he appears to be generally supported by the crowd, are we so desperate to get winners that we will support even drug cheats, just as long as they perform well?

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
It´s too many today that been using drugs.

Perhaps time for a no-drug OG

and one for the mutants:p

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
All I can say is, who??? :confused

(I don't follow sports!!!)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You don't have to follow sports to have heard the name, it's been all over the news over the past week.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
rolfw said:
You don't have to follow sports to have heard the name, it's been all over the news over the past week.

Ah, haven't seen the news much, all I know sport wise is a Manx guy won 2 stages of Le Tour de France.... :)

But, looking at the vote, I think it's a 100% no against this Dwain Pipe... :D

H

hoppo1

This has all come about because the British Olympic Committee "thought" he had retired and so have not drug tested him for the past 2 years, those of his ban. So for 2 years he could have been "juicing" like there is no tomorrow and no one knows for sure.
Then after the 2 year ban he came back from a failed stint trying to play American football and wants to do athletics again.
Anyway enough of the background. Should he run for Britain? Morally probably not. Legally I can´t see a reason for him not being able to, as the BOC cocked it up not him.

My personal thoughts on it are that every person at the top of their sport is on drugs. If they weren´t they wouldn´t be there racing or throwing or whatever. Look a t Linford Christie. Went from skinny bloke to massive in a couple of seasons and started winning races. All the time speaking out against drugs, whilst topped up to the eyeballs with "enhancing" substances. Even then he didn´t win all the time, because the others were on better drugs probably.
I say make it honest, let them all take whatever they like under proper medical supervision. That way every one is on a level playing field (no pun intended) "the drugs are there, take what you like". Then everybody knows what they are up against.

I have trained in the gym with many athletes who were at the top of their game (i was not at the top of mine:-doh2) and all of them took something for "injuries" or "to pep me up". From regional on the cusp javelin throwers, to well known bobsleigh drivers ;) & ageing rugby players trying to eek out a bit more speed for one last season, they all took some type of banned "aid".

That´s my input. Let him run. At least we know that he´s "cheating".

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Don't think there was a mistake, he was banned from Olympic competition for life, so there was no likelyhood in their eyes that he would be trying for Olympic entry. I do agree however, that he has pulled a real fast one, as you say, he can quite possibly have been enhancing his body building performance over the two years of no testing and had he been honest, would have declared his intention to continue his career.

I'm afraid I don't want the Olympics to become a drug enhanced circus and would hope that other countries in the future will enforce life bans on drug cheats, I do not want to see him running in the colours of my country, in fact I'd rather we didn't submit a team if we have to rely on self serving cheats like him..

H

hoppo1

I'm afraid I don't want the Olympics to become a drug enhanced circus

It already is rolfw.

Athletes that get caught do so because they either don´t take the right masking agents or aren´t on the new designer drug that hasn´t yet got on the banned list.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, it may well be, but I am not prepared to hold up my hands and let them get on with it, as I hope neither are the British athletic bodies. So if they get caught, out they go and I would include non olympic competition lifetime bans as well, let them get a real job like the rest of us to earn a living.

Status
Not open for further replies.