My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
I've been out again today tilting and turning my dish prior to getting my motor. Astra 1 and Astra 2 are coming through great, Hotbird is very faint and no matter how much tilting and turning I do, it doesn't get any better.
My strongest transponder on Astra 2 is now 12207 v 27500. Although I'll still get the motor to get both Astra sats, what I needed to know does the dish tilt with the motor to receive hotbird, or should it be level with the other sats? What could I be doing wrong? I've tried twisting the lnb slightly, there's not much give unless I totally unscrew it and try. What do all you experts suggest. If I'm seen up that ladder again, I'll be called the dish lady in the village. Will getting a motor help me find more sats? Sorry for all the questions, but I have my eye on a motor on ebay and it finishes today, and I need to know before it ends.

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
the way the motor moves (at least with mine), the angle of the dish changes horizontally and vertically for each satellite, though the vertical difference is only slight, but it is enough to track the satellites in teh arc.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
The motor moves the dish in an arch which turns and tilts the dish but this is only a slight movement.

If your arch is off at all, then you will be missing satellites. If you follow the instructions in the stickies at the top of the forums you won't go far wrong.

With 100mph winds expected in the next few days may be worth waiting before you install a motor.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
Hotbird it should be fairly easy to find. Its signals are pretty strong if you're pointing an 80cm dish at it . Make sure:

There's nothing in the way! i was struggling to find Astra2, when hotbird & AStra1 where all OK - it turns out a tree was in the way.

Hotbird isn't far off Astra1, have you looked at the strongest transponder list?(http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=28972&highlight=strongest) for 13E should be 10.758V 27500..

Footprints suggest it depends what channels you're trying to get and what beam they are using whether you might need more than 80cm in NI:
http://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/13ehb2-4_popd.html

cts

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
closetosoton said:
Hotbird it should be fairly easy to find. Its signals are pretty strong if you're pointing an 80cm dish at it . Make sure:

There's nothing in the way! i was struggling to find Astra2, when hotbird & AStra1 where all OK - it turns out a tree was in the way.

Hotbird isn't far off Astra1, have you looked at the strongest transponder list?(http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=28972&highlight=strongest) for 13E should be 10.758V 27500..

Footprints suggest it depends what channels you're trying to get and what beam they are using whether you might need more than 80cm in NI:
http://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/13ehb2-4_popd.html

cts

Yes I did look at the strongest transponder list and set it all correctly, but as you say I'm thinking an 80cm dish isn't big enough for hotbird here in NI. I popped down to my sisters and turned her 80cm mini dish and she got Astra 1 and 2 but nothing else. I'll go ahead and get a motor and if I need a bigger dish, then I'll have to get one eventually. Thanks guys for your replies, I don't know what I'd do without your help.