Download on a 3m dish and re-broadcast locally ?

pgleeson

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Poland
Sorry, I'm clueless about these things but need some info before I speak to a local professional in my dodgy Polish.

In reference to getting BBC in Warsaw (or anywhere for that matter) - Is it possible to set up a 3m dish (or whatever size is required) to receive it, then relay the signal to a minidish and bounce the signal to another dish in the locality (am thinking of a tall building with a direct line of sight to my house) ?

Naive, stupid or both ?

Thanks,

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are looking to rebroadcast a single channel, or even a number of channels there is equipment available, if you are looking to operate a satellite receiver, then it is a bit more complex, you will need to be able to transmit all four LNB states simultaneuosly to a switching unit, this will involve a fairly complex stacker/destacker system. There is a proprietory system available for single frequency LNBs H and V, but I'm not sure that it will handle four states.

Threepwood

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Rome, Italy
Since you've got a direct line of sight, the best solution would probably be a microwave link between the two locations...

This is fairly cheap & easy to do for a single channel. But as Rolfw suggested, things get much more complicated if you're trying to relay the raw signal from an LNB.

Cheers.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If the original poster is purely relaying a single signal to a single receiver, which is what I believe he is suggesting, then I don't belive that there is an issue over legality.

tenerifesat

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Threepwood said:
Since you've got a direct line of sight, the best solution would probably be a microwave link between the two locations...

This is fairly cheap & easy to do for a single channel. But as Rolfw suggested, things get much more complicated if you're trying to relay the raw signal from an LNB.

Cheers.

Any idea which companies can supply this equipment? It would be interesting to find out what the cost would be.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Are you referring to the single channel equipment, or the full monty?

For single channel video and audio senders which will work up to 1Km, poss better with an antenna at the receiver end, try www.rfconcepts.co.uk

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There is also another option which has just come to light, this is a UHF transmitter (Channel 19 or 21) and can be used directionally, all you need is a Yagi at both ends and a TV that can pick up ideally both channels, some will only pick up 21.

I would again add that this cannot be used in the UK and you would need to check in your own country, or be very careful how you use it.

meatball

Reaction score
Website
vsatcommunications.utvinternet.com
My Location
dublin/Ireland
rolfw said:
There is also another option which has just come to light, this is a UHF transmitter (Channel 19 or 21) and can be used directionally, all you need is a Yagi at both ends and a TV that can pick up ideally both channels, some will only pick up 21.

I would again add that this cannot be used in the UK and you would need to check in your own country, or be very careful how you use it.

done this in the past for the crack,

rf out of receiver, into distro amp input, signal out, up to a dirctional antenna, ie color king, no problem 5/6 km.
other end installs antenna with amp if long distance, pictures prefect.

pgleeson

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Poland
meatball said:
done this in the past for the crack,

rf out of receiver, into distro amp input, signal out, up to a dirctional antenna, ie color king, no problem 5/6 km.
other end installs antenna with amp if long distance, pictures prefect.

Rolfw, meatball et al - thanks for the info so far. When you refer to one channel, I assume I can still change channels using the remote? If not I understand I need the full monty.

How much are we talking about for the required kit ?

Cheers

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you wish to change channels, you will need another solution, I'm still trying to find the details of the one I saw a year or so ago, but it ain't gonna be cheap. :)

ynot62

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
rolfw said:
If you are looking to rebroadcast a single channel, or even a number of channels there is equipment available, if you are looking to operate a satellite receiver, then it is a bit more complex, you will need to be able to transmit all four LNB states simultaneuosly to a switching unit, this will involve a fairly complex stacker/destacker system. There is a proprietory system available for single frequency LNBs H and V, but I'm not sure that it will handle four states.

I understood how to rebroadcast a single channel but how can you rebroadcast a number of channels and till to how many channels can you rebroadcast?
Thank you
Tony

ynot62

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
rolfw said:
If you wish to change channels, you will need another solution, I'm still trying to find the details of the one I saw a year or so ago, but it ain't gonna be cheap. :)

Hi did you find the details about to change channels?
Thank you
Tony