Downloads wont start

Joe_bloggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HumaxF1C1, Trisat dish, Astra 19.2, Eutelsat 16, Hotbird.
My Location
United Kingdom
A few weeks ago, my downloads from Bit torrent clients stopped working, Everything checks out fine, Tracker responce is ok, plenty of seeds are active, yet it remains on 0 b/s regardless of what i try downloading - It is the same with other file-sharing apps like Limewire and Kazaa, the downloads just remain on 0 b/s. I am using windows firewall (win xp sp2), with all the file sharing apps allowed through exceptions tab.

I have also scanned thoroughly my pc using anti-virus and spyware programs, i am confused as to why suddenly everything stopped working, Anyone had same problem or perhaps you know what it might be any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

drag0nfly_69uk

Reaction score
My Location
essex boy
you'll also need port forwarding, you'll need to know which port the bt client needs to be "forward", basically it's best if you turn off firewall al together or use bitcomet v0.60, it's less picky, it can sort itself out as to which port need forwarding

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Joe_bloggs said:
I have also scanned thoroughly my pc using anti-virus and spyware programs, i am confused as to why suddenly everything stopped working, Anyone had same problem or perhaps you know what it might be any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks

Return the spyware cookies that you removed and then see if it works, it certainly does replacing the Kazaa one and Limewire is probably the same. There is a warning in most programs now that removal of the item can effect license issues etc before you click to remove.

Joe_bloggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply, firstly i have tried disabling the firewall, this does not help. secondly you may have a point with the replace cookies idea, i do have cyberscrub privacy guard and use it always before shutdown to erase all spyware cookies etc, but would this affect Bit torrent, Limewire, Kazaa and shareza and others. I have also tried re-installing all the mentioned file sharing apps.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
100% definite with kazaa as my daughter used to use it and has to tell it to ignore that cookie when scanning. I have heard a rumour that some ISP's are begining to co-operate with the authorities and are not allowing users to connect to certain download sites but I have no confirmation of this at all.

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
toppervte33h said:
I have heard a rumour that some ISP's are begining to co-operate with the authorities and are not allowing users to connect to certain download sites but I have no confirmation of this at all.

let 'em try we'll go around them. i my self dont use them but if ISP's start that crap i'll find away around. thats a bunch of bs. isp's dont make a good enough effert to keep our kids safe "imho" what do they look like blocking download sites. 2 years ago a 10 year old boy was talked out of his house a couple miles from where i live. the boy was found 9 days later with the worst. the parents tried to sue the isp but they where found not at fault. they made a statement serval times that they are just a 3rd party a "middle man" they just connect people to what they want to be connected to. and this is true. but now if they start playing the judge's sword then its time for us to remind them that their just a 3rd party.
BTW joe did you get your dl's working again? it would be nice to hear how the advice is working.

Joe_bloggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
United Kingdom
Turns out it was my ISP blocking certain ports commonly used with file sharing programs, so far no way around it, tried privoxy and tor still no luck. happens only at peak times.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Joe_bloggs said:
Turns out it was my ISP blocking certain ports commonly used with file sharing programs, so far no way around it, tried privoxy and tor still no luck. happens only at peak times.
They often do this to allow light users more speed.

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
have you tried starting an account at noip and directing your DL's thru that account?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have to say that I have sympathy with the service providers on this, I remember in the days of satellite broadband, there would always be a few subscribers who would download files 24/365 and amass 100s of Gigs of miscellaneous garbage which they could never watch in a human lifetime. This would slow down the performance to everyone esle and made the system often no faster than dialup.

I would guess that ADSL can suffer the same problems, with a few P2P users monoplizing the contended bandwidth. I don't disagree with P2P, but do get the impression that many users download for the sake of it (because they can) and would be very unhappy if they had to pay for a lower (more suitable) contention ratio.

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
rolfw said:
I have to say that I have sympathy with the service providers on this, I remember in the days of satellite broadband, there would always be a few subscribers who would download files 24/365 and amass 100s of Gigs of miscellaneous garbage which they could never watch in a human lifetime. This would slow down the performance to everyone esle and made the system often no faster than dialup.

I would guess that ADSL can suffer the same problems, with a few P2P users monoplizing the contended bandwidth. I don't disagree with P2P, but do get the impression that many users download for the sake of it (because they can) and would be very unhappy if they had to pay for a lower (more suitable) contention ratio.

amen.... i think a solution would be an extra charge on downloaded data. say your monthly plan comes with so many mbs per day and charge on daily overages. betcha that'll free up some bandwith

bigsinky

DVB Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1m triax motorised from 28.2e to 30w, relook 400, dreambox 7020, DM500, skystar1, nokia 9500,humax FTA, full 7.1 home cinema

xp4600+ @2.7GHz(aircooled) , 4.5TB HDD, 4GB SDRAM, Dual 8800
My Location
Belfast
have to agree with above. my 10meg connection is now limited to 75gig per month, which i never use.(yes i keep logs of how much i download and upload). yes i do use bittorrent but am very picky what i download. as other have said, people get a fast connection and max it out and download crap that they will NEVER watch. these are also the people that when a torrent has downloaded wil not seed to save their life.

just my 2p worth

cheers

sinky