Dr. Who Soon To Hit The Big Screen!

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
Dr. Who, one of the World’s most successful and longest running science-fiction TV series, will soon make its way to the big screen. The director behind the last four Harry Potter films, David Yates, will be working with BBC to make the film adaptation a reality.

The television show will undergo several major changes during its transformation into a Hollywood movie. The current screenwriters behind the hit drama series, Russell T Davies and Steve Moffat, will have no involvement with the creation of the movie’s screenplay.

"Russell T Davies and then Steven Moffat have done their own transformations, which were fantastic, but we have to put that aside and start from scratch," said Yates.

Furthermore, without a cast or screenwriter, the release of this feature film won’t happen anytime soon. "We're looking at writers now. We're going to spend two to three years to get it right," Yates said. "It needs quite a radical transformation to take it into the bigger arena."

While Yates said that he aims at retaining the British sensibility of the flick, one potential prospect for the job of screenwriter is Steve Kloves, the Harry Potter scriptwriter. Though American, Yates believes that Kloves did an excellent job at capturing British sensibility in the previous Potter films he wrote.

Fans of Matt Smith (the guy who presently plays the Doctor in the TV show) may be in for a little disappoint, since it’s unlikely that Smith will land the lead role.

This isn’t the first time Dr. Who will hit the silver screen – Gordon Flemyng directed the first two films “Doctor Who and the Daleks” which was released back in 1965, and “Doctor Who: Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150 AD” a year after.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Mmmmm. Worried about this.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I think it would be a good opportunity for the writers to explore the possibility of a 'prequel', perhaps looking at his earlier life on Gallifrey, the events leading to him being the sole surviving Time Lord and his first visit to Earth. But, it would have to handled with care and respect, a trait that 'Hollywood' isn't noted for.

Surely the BBC should get a substantial payment through this?

@ PaulR : what in particular worries you about this?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
PaulR said:
Mmmmm. Worried about this.

I don't think there'll be much problem casting for Cyberperson parts. Lots of them will be required.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sonnetpete said:
PaulR : what in particular worries you about this?
Exactly what you wrote, really.
sonnetpete said:
But, it would have to handled with care and respect, a trait that 'Hollywood' isn't noted for.
Having said that it IS an opportunity to explore a different aspect of The Doctor. But I have a sinking feeling in my boots that it'll turn out to be Hollywood's idea of a more up-to-date Doctor. In tune with the times. An action hero.

As evidence I offer the story of "Wallace & Grommit and the Curse of the Were-rabbit" where a Hollywood exec reportedly made the suggestion that W&G should dump their A30 van and drive a Humvee. Apocryphal, perhaps, but a ring opf truth there.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Yet another regeneration that breaks the original premise, tut, tut !

Anyhow, the o/p hasn't mentioned the third movie, with Paul McGann in the driving seat.

_http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116118/

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
TV Movie. Perhaps that doesn't count?

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Actually the Paul McGann movie was quite watchable in its own way ...but I prefered to treat this as a stand alone entity ..rather than part of the sequence ..
I do however share some of Pauls concerns regarding 'Hollywood' taking over production..
They tried this when making a movie spin off from Douglas Adams 'Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy ..and made a total cock up ..
Too Americanised ...Not enough emphasis on remaining true to Douglas Adams Vision ...nor his superbly crafted characters.
rgds
VS

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The radio series was just perfect. Peter Jones couldn't be bettered as the voice of the book.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Totally agree CH ..
The definitive version ;)
The 12 part TV series was well produced by the BBC ..with some excellent actors ..
Though the storyline was changed a bit for TV purposes ..
Also it was released on Vinyl ..and in book form ..both had variations ...
But the Radio Version remains the one I love the most...and Peter Jones _IS_ the book..

:D
So long ..and thanks for all the fish...
Must get back now and feed the cat ..
Pussy want a fish...???????

..oh ..and the legacy lives on ..as referenced in translation by Babelfish ..
Just goes to show doesn't it..

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
[video=youtube;0pGGYmZ2gMk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pGGYmZ2gMk[/video]
Hoping to make a few converts ..
;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Hollywood and their "ideas" for movies are well-known for screwing things up, the main one that springs to mind for me is Star Trek, comparing the original series (and associated movies) to the 2009 movie, that's what happens when someone decides to "regenerate" a cult series, writers come up with a decent story, directors add explosions, fight scenes and big noisy guns and massive and complicated and completely unrealistic sets, and hey presto, J.J. Abrahms's Star Trek is born, if Gene Roddenberry was still alive to see that, it would have killed him to see his idea ruined by some muppet who couldn't even make a TV series make sense... 'O'-red

I'm not a Dr. Who fan myself, but, if you want to see what the movie will most likely be like, Star Trek 2009 is the prime example...

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
2cvbloke said:
Hollywood and their "ideas" for movies are well-known for screwing things up, the main one that springs to mind for me is Star Trek, comparing the original series (and associated movies) to the 2009 movie, that's what happens when someone decides to "regenerate" a cult series, writers come up with a decent story, directors add explosions, fight scenes and big noisy guns and massive and complicated and completely unrealistic sets, and hey presto, J.J. Abrahms's Star Trek is born, if Gene Roddenberry was still alive to see that, it would have killed him to see his idea ruined by some muppet who couldn't even make a TV series make sense... 'O'-red
Couldn't agree more and I'm glad to see I'm not alone in being HUGELY disappointed with the reboot.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
PaulR said:
Couldn't agree more and I'm glad to see I'm not alone in being HUGELY disappointed with the reboot.

I've heard Bladerunner is currently in the Hollywood Blender.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Channel Hopper said:
I've heard Bladerunner is currently in the Hollywood Blender.

Makes a change from Kermit.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Well whatever Hollywood does to it - cant be much worse than the most recent series which was dreadful.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Analoguesat said:
Well whatever Hollywood does to it - cant be much worse than the most recent series which was dreadful.

I don't know what sort of contract he signed up for, but the latest storylines bear little resemblance to the usual creative genius of Mr Moffat.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I knew this series was in trouble when Moffat said words to the effect the Daleks wont appear - they are the worst enemies ever because they always get beaten.

He seems to have missed the point a little. Almost everybody loves the Daleks. You know they are going to get trounced again as usual but that doesnt matter.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Let's hope that when he DOES bring back the Daleks that he's got rid of the fat-ar$ed new ones.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Channel Hopper said:
I don't know what sort of contract he signed up for, but the latest storylines bear little resemblance to the usual creative genius of Mr Moffat.

And I didn't know he was behind this

_http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0983193/