Dragon Cam

bk_man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5400Z + DISEQ 4 switch, + 12V Switch + Diseq 2 Switch allowing 6 LNBS - Hotbird, Astra, Astra2D, Hyspasat, Thor, Telecom 2d

Sky Digital - Astra2d

Telecom 2D SkyDsl
My Location
Germany
Can a dragon cam be used to watch sky ftv?
(and what type of card do I need- can it work without a sky card?)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes it can, you need a FTV card from Sky, or an ex subscription card, only problem being that it does not pass the stay alive signal and needs refreshing in a Sky digibox occasionally.

y4fahmy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate1500ci 80cm motorised dish from 7W-30e Dragon Cam
My Location
London
what on 3.30??

bk_man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5400Z + DISEQ 4 switch, + 12V Switch + Diseq 2 Switch allowing 6 LNBS - Hotbird, Astra, Astra2D, Hyspasat, Thor, Telecom 2d

Sky Digital - Astra2d

Telecom 2D SkyDsl
My Location
Germany
@ Rolf, thanks, well that's nice and clear...

So if I read this correct, it's fine for the likes of myself who doesn't need a second digibox but not good for "readers" who want to use this as the only method of getting FTV (not FTA) from the 28.2 position because the card, doesn't update correctly...

That's a shame really but one further question, if the card is active, from a regular subscription digibox - is there a limitation to what channels can be viewed - ie does it open all channels - or just what was subscribed to?

The direction I'm taking here - is the what if scenario, ie what if I was to downgrade my current subscription to something like just a music package, which is cheaper than the family package.. Will I get the family package or just the music package with the dragon cam...

brgds

D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Dragon will only act as a substitute for the CAM in the Sky digibox, so it will only allow you to view the channels you are subscribed to. Some of the softcams on the Dreambox will pass the stay alive signal, so they can be used in place of a digibox, this could of course change if Sky are able to take counter measures.

I'm not sure whether anyone has managed to activate a card in a Dreambox yet.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
y4fahmy said:
what on 3.30??

Not 100% sure what you are asking, but as far as I know, the Dragon cannot keep the card alive with any version of software.

bk_man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

Sky Digital - Astra2d

Telecom 2D SkyDsl
My Location
Germany
If you take a typical smart card, the entitlement to the packages viewed are based on a PBM hex value which acts as a filter, generally the keys for the packages are the same but modifying what is filtered and what is not changes the number of channels available to view. Usually only the PPV has a
differing key value... So I guess I was asking how true a copy was the dragon cam - whether it also copied the PBM value or just allowed all..

If it was the latter having a subscription based upon just News and Documentaries or Music, is cheaper than the family package but theoretically would be able to see all the family package for the lower cost..

I guess only some decent key logging would reveal if this was the case, but I'm reluctant to play with my sky card in case I kill it.. I couldn't extract much info from the old cards - not my field - I guess we need to speak with one of the russian maths geniuses who would know a bit more about this topic :) ...

Anyway thanks again... I may consider purchasing one just to play with...
Although still I'm interested and it raises a further question.. What about card sharing - does it work? ie one card in digibox original, and shared with the hummy + dragon cam... ? do you know - have you tried?...

rgds
D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Card sharing is alive and well with the Dreambox, I believe with some other receivers as well, but the Dreambox has the advantage of keeping the card alive, where the other options don't.

PS. No I haven't tried, I prefer to not risk my card being shut down, as I like to use it. :)

bk_man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

Sky Digital - Astra2d

Telecom 2D SkyDsl
My Location
Germany
Rolfw, tks again, I've seen some equipment around let me hunt it down and then I'll be able to decribe it better.. Not talking about card sharing on the LAN/WAN, but splitting one card between two boxes - so both digibox and hummy / dragon can share the sub at the same time .. I think it's possible but better end the post here coz we're getting rather close to the grey zone :) - once I find info I'll ask a better worded question...

y4fahmy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
I subscribe to all sly packages however when I put the NDS card in the dragon cam 3.30 I get access to all subscribed channels ie sly 1, bravo etc, except the sports and movie channels even though i do subscribe to these.

Any ideas why.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
You haven't put in the NDS serial number in the Dragon menu?

y4fahmy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
thought that might be thanks