Dragon Dilemma

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
Hello Peeps,;)

I am considering buying a Dragon cam to try and breathe some life into my suffocating Fortec (FSCI 5100 ULTRA). Unfortunately support recently for this receiver has shifted from spasmodic - to sparse!

I have no experience of cams but have read and understood lots from people's postings. However, I still have a few questions which hopefully some kind sole can help me with.

1. Is there any general preference between using CAS 3 or Infinity Unlimited? (I understand the basic differences in operation - I think)

2. Does anyone have first hand experience of using Dragon 4.1 with my model (FSCI 5100 ULTRA) - are there any compatability issues?

3. Once loaded with preditor x.xx, willll the Dragon work with official cards - for instance Digitalb?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Yorks

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi Yorks,
a CAS 3 is a Cam programmer that allows you to alter some older cams, but it doesn't do all that it claims, although it can also program cards.
An Infinity unlimited is purely a card programmer, which is all you need to update a Dragon Cam.
I can't answer your second point as I don't have that receiver.
You can get modified versions of various Predator downloads that work with most subscription cards.
Best wishes
Mickha

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
I haven't got that receiver but I do have another Fortec model, the Ultimate (if only it were!). Actually I've got two Ultimates and the Dragon doesn't work in either of the two CI slots in one Ultimate and in the other Ultimate it only works in the bottom one. On some encyptions it breaks up a bit, on others it loses frames and in general it stops encrypting after a short while.

I imagine it's the Fortecs that are at fault as they were bought secondhand and from reading various forums they can be a bit tricky. I could be wrong though, maybe it is the Dragon at fault but I have no other CI receivers to test it on.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
@yorks - I'll try my Dragon in my receiver later and see what transpires, pending any other answers that may appear here.

Llew

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Thanks for the replies everyone.

@ skipchannel. Yep i have read many of your posts regarding your 'not so ultimate' on here and al7bar. Had one myself but had trouble with it losing position when moving satellites. Swapped it for Ultra. Phew!

@ Llew. Thanks. I await with bated breath. When you get a roundtuit of course:D PS. D+ back on Fortec with new k*ys

Regards,

Yorks

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hi Yorks. Can confirm the Dragon module (mine's the latest version 4.1) works OK in the Fortec FSCI 5100 Ultra.

I'm using Predator 341, with key update for D+. Switch code thingy off.

One downer, it doesn't appear to like Cr*ptoworks, although I haven't tried all ID's.

Llew

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Llew said:
Hi Yorks. Can confirm the Dragon module (mine's the latest version 4.1) works OK in the Fortec FSCI 5100 Ultra.

I'm using Predator 341, with key update for D+. Switch code thingy off.

One downer, it doesn't appear to like Cr*ptoworks, although I haven't tried all ID's.

Llew

Thanks Llew. Much appreciated. :)
Cr*ptoworks a bit of a bummer though. As you guessed, that was one of the reasons i was thinking of getting the Dragon, as there is still no p*tch for Fortec.

On the Fortec Box it lists Cr*ptoworks amongst others, but i presume that refers to using a legitimate Cr*ptoworks cam. It says OXO on the side of buses but...........

Definitely a Dragon Dilemma!!

Regards,

Yorks.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Took the plunge and bought Dragon 4.1 and Infinity Unlimited. Had a lot of trouble getting cam to initialize in receiver.

4 or 5 attempts and left it 15 mins each time! All that was displayed was:-

'Cam Slot A: init process' but nothing happened.

When I tried Cam Slot B it didn't recognise cam at all.

Eventually on about 5th reboot, got :-

'Cam Slot A: init process' followed by

'Cam Slot A: Prerator 3.41'

And then pulled in channel (BBC World)

Entered cryptodorks key and all are workin!

D+ and TPS also OK.

All seems stable at the moment.:D

Not bad for a Dragon Virgin! :confused

Regards,

Yorks.