Dream Box Networking ?

Ferrari72

Reaction score
I have a network card and a network setup on my computers. I can share files, printers and the internet connection with the other computers. My question is: With the Dreambox receivers, since I already have a network setup between the computers, from what I have been reading I will not have to have a router. I can just unplug the network connection to the other computers and use that cable and plug it in to the Dreambox receiver and I would be good to go without a router, as long as I set the IPs. Correct or not? Thank you.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Think you're correct....

Why not try it?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Ferrari72 said:
I have a network card and a network setup on my computers. I can share files, printers and the internet connection with the other computers. My question is: With the Dreambox receivers, since I already have a network setup between the computers, from what I have been reading I will not have to have a router. I can just unplug the network connection to the other computers and use that cable and plug it in to the Dreambox receiver and I would be good to go without a router, as long as I set the IPs. Correct or not? Thank you.

Yes m8, should be that straightforward. :)

Dreambox is just another computer after all.

Ferrari72

Reaction score
Thanx guys:)
My friend is also says to buy a Router.
He said this way you get the added (limited) protection of some hardware/software Firewall with the Router, and you can connect all your computers (and your Dreambox), establish/configure an IP address for each of them, and run as you wish, without having to disconnect anything ever again.

Regards;)

longstockings

Satellite Whore
Reaction score
Website
www.tm9100.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500 CI+
80cm Polycarbnate Dish
0.3db Universal LNB
Moteck Digipower Motor
My Location
Totnes, Devon 50.4320N, 3.6690W
I think your friend should be informed that the firewall found on a router is pretty much useless. You would be better off finding a really cheap computer from somewhere and installing devil linux on it. This would help protect your network from outside intrusion.

I would say you want a wireless adsl modem router with 4 ports. Keep the cables for the computers if you wish as I don't know how far apart they are and use a wireless connection for the Dreambox.

With a wireless adsl modem router you have the best of both Worlds and if you buy the safecom that I bought from Ebuyer you'll notice that it works with voip which cheaper adsl modem routers do not.

You can buy one from here for under £50
hxxp://www.qtds.com/code/products.asp?recid=679&catid=66

Ferrari72

Reaction score
Gentlemen, thank you very much for the answers. I appreciate it and I do agree with you. A Router is the way to go. So I got one. Linksys/cable/dsl, 4 port. And now they tell me I can't use it because I am on Direcway Satellite Broadband, which means I have no modem and no dial-up. It's a USB connection. There has to be someone that also has satellite internet that can tell me how to hook up this Router. Sorry for the problems. Can you help?

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Ferrari,

Now I'm confused??
If you have satellite internet then presumably you have a Skystar USB or similar?
If so, surely you can do all a Dreambox can do with that?
So why the Dreambox?

Can't help with the router problem. A DSL Modem Router (similar to ADSL as I have) expects a broadband telephone line connection not a PC with a Sat card!!
You will presumably have to use the PC (the one with the Sat card) as a server. The DSL Modem Router will be of no use at all as I see it. Sorry.

You would then, presumably, need an ethernet router/switch to connect the other PC's and Dreambox to the server PC with the Sat Card. I assume you have a separate dish for the sat card? If not how will you share it?

73 & good luck.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
longstockings said:
I think your friend should be informed that the firewall found on a router is pretty much useless.
Well longstockings everyone is entiitled to their opinion, but I'm sure Cisco and Draytec still haven't recovered from falling around on the floor laughing at such a stupid comment. The firewall found on a router is only useless if the installer doesn't know how to configure it correctly. This is because a firewall router works on the principal of no entry unless authorised access is given which is governed by a pre configured IP number configured into the router and usually an IKE preshared key which because it is also encrypted is unknown to anyone else. Added to which because most reasonable routers have the possiblity to stop anyone pinging them they are extremely safe and cannot be even found to be attacked. Only in the hands of an amateur are they leaky. I'd sooner have a decent router properly configured than a wireless router that all my neighbours can share whilst I'm out at work.

({}) And by the way VOIP stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol I therefore fail to understand your comment about it being better since the only requirement for VOIP is that you have a TCP/IP connection So........

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
IMO hardware firewalls in SOHO type routers are generally pretty good if, as you say, they are configured correctly. They should provide stealth port masking to stop all but the most persistant intruders.

Good software firewalls can be more flexible to configure especially if you want to poke holes in it to allow certain pieces of software to operate correctly, but most any firewall can perform NAT and port forwarding.

Either hardware or software - it's a billion times better than nothing at all, especially if you're on a well known always-connected IP address range.

Just my opinion.

:)