DreamBox 4th generation...

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
What is this all about with the display?

This is a translation from an German Ebay item No 5719033972. Was there a problem with the old display? or is this an enhancement?

This is a rough translation - sorry.

NEW! 4th generation + Display reconstruction knows
New! The absolute Hingucker knows display!!
With entire 5 meter visibility on the display and not only 1-3 meter!!
no Orange or Blue Display special an up rebuilt display" "knows
Including. F - Quickstecker (plagued and Play) (original not with contain)

Also for sale are disk drive cables with condensers inline to prevent another problem. Is this due to faster 7200 drives? Am I correct in thinking the DreamBox works better with 5400 drives?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
There is a list of approved drives, and they are all 5400rpm as they are 'quieter when used in an STB application'. I suspect that, in general, they use less power as well, which is a crucial factor as the Dreambox struggles in this department.

The old DB's had a blue display, which was pants and therefore fixed. Orange display is now bigger as well (5 lines as opposed to 3?).

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
How about you copy the disturbing text here, ill give you a somewhat better translation.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Thanks, BGonaSTICK your posts are always informative and right on the nail.

Look forward to reading many more.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Thanks T_G here it is, as it is on item..

Dreambox 7000 S mit 80 Gb. HDD Festplatte + Silent Drive
NEU! 4. Generation + Display umbau weiß + 24 Monate Garantie

Dreambox 7000 S Sat Digital PVR Receiver

Neu! Display weiß der absolute Hingucker !!!

*-- Mit ganzen 5 Meter sicht auf das Display und nicht nur 1-3 Meter !!! --
*-- kein Oranges oder Blaues Display sonder ein auf "weiß umgebautes Display" --
*-- inkl. F - Quickstecker (Plug and Play) (Original nicht mit enthalten) -

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
gameboy said:
Thanks, BGonaSTICK your posts are always informative and right on the nail.

Look forward to reading many more.
Thanks.
I'll try not to get run over tomorrow then...O-Ha

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
BGonaSTICK said:
Thanks.
I'll try not to get run over tomorrow then...O-Ha

As long as you end up in a hospital with an Internet connection ;-)

Ohh! and Satellite TV...

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Here it is:

Zis is obvious....
4th Generation + White Display Conversion+ 24 month Warranty (is anyway compulsory in Germany/EU)
Obvious
New! White Display absolutely ze dogs bollocks

Now display visible from 5 whole meters not just 1-3!!!*-- kein Oranges oder Blaues Display sonder ein auf "weiß umgebautes Display" --
Not an orange or blue display but a converted white display
[/QUOTE]
Includes F quick-plug (plug and pray) (Original not included)

So this is it. I am not sure you got more out of it compared to the machine translation, but then again my missus says I am too a machine so .....

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
The translation must have been done by one of those so-called intelligent bits of software.
Its not a very interesting piece anyway:

Here, the first line is easy even if you dont know any German.
The next line says
New! 4th generation + modified white display + 24 month guarantee

That's easy. Then:

The machine translator didnt know the slang word Hingucker so it assumed it was a name, tut tut. It means you absolutely can't stop looking at it. I prefer looking at my woman, she's more attractive than a receiver display.
Anyway, this is where the machine translator crashed badly, translating "weiss" as 'knows" instead of "white".
Those ß characters are supposed to be illegal now . . . . .

*-- kein Oranges oder Blaues Display sonder ein auf "weiß umgebautes Display" --

They keep going on about the display, in case you hadnt clocked it yet.
Do we care about the display or do we care about what the inside can do?

"With a display you can see from 5 meters and not just 1-3 meters.
It's not orange. It's not even blue! It's the modified white display! (trumpets sound off right)
Includes an F-quickplug (plug and play) (Original not included)."
I assume its the original plug not included.

And yes, as BigonaStick points out, you are strongly advised to get the quietest drive available or else your missuses will want to know what the whining is.

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
Not far off Gameboy apart from weiss = white.
I can only assume that hingucker(?) weiss display can only mean f***ing awsome white display.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The answer is in my translation above, Englaender!

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
Sorry , must improve my typing speed.
Not Far off with hingucker though.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Silent HDs - I've got three Macs running in this room, and one of them is dual processor G4 with the legendary noise - they have websites about it!

Sounds like a Hoover sometimes - but it's worth it! have you seen the new iMac G5 - want one of them also. The DreamBox is still top of the shopping list.

Still to order - learning more each day thanks to everyone here.

Looking at a 7000s with 120gig HD from HM-Sat for Euro409 plud P&P - whatever that is from germany.

Anyone know of a better deal?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
You never off for anything with dogs bollocks....whenever in doubt - insert it. (The phrase that is!)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Is the white display standard on the 4th generation or is it a modification done by the seller?

http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/10230.esa

The one on the hm-sat website is still orange!

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
4th Generation + White Display Conversion+ 24 month Warranty (is anyway compulsory in Germany/EU)
I am in the UK (Englaender!) but my Dreambox came from Deutschland - HM-Sat. Does this mean it will have a 24 month warranty or will they make it 12 month like most things we buy over here ?

Neil

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
T_J Your translation must have come in parallel to mine, I wouldnt have bothered if I had known. Despite multi-decades working and living in Hamburg, Hingucker was new to me and needed a guess. I like dog's bollocks and will use it when my vocabularlty fails. For this one, I was going to substitute Hodsucker, if one may mix languages.

I was at Apple Expo last week. Bit like a rock concert when the iMac came up through the floor on a platform. They forgot the smoke gun. It is nice if you have only a few spare cm**2 on your desk., I worry about component failure, i.e. screen goes and the whole caboosh needs to go back. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my new G5 and big screen. I have to say though, that OSX10.4 which they demoed (and of which have a beta version) really is the dog's bollocks. MS is being left behind again. Pity one needs PCs to talk to any sat receiver . . . . . .

T_J, can you please direct me to a place where I can read, English or German, macht nichts, precisely what to do with the dreambox 7000 when it arrives on my doorstep in a few days. I mean I know the manual tells me how to switch it on, I have a copy already, but I will need a tuorial on next steps. I didnt buy it to watch ARD1.

(PS Prof in Cheshire. Are you a real Prof? I am.)
:cool:

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
If you check some on my earlier questions about Macs and DreamBox you find that if you have an FTP client your Mac should talk to the DreamBox over Ethernet.

I also have VirtualPC as a backup. The box uses the IBM PowerPC CPU same as the Macs and is running Linux which is very close to the UNIX based OS X. Hopefully some clever Mac boffins will invest some time in developing the link.

We have loads of the Flat screen iMacs and everything is crammed into the base, half golfball. They are very easy to work on and it takes only a few minute to replace most components.

Apple invest a lot of time in not only making the kit look good but the engineers are also great at making them easy to repair.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
Thnx GB

I have a cable/wireless LAN at home so I would expect
Go -> Connect to Server
to pick up the DrBx.
Since I do a lot of DVD prep on my Macs I would expect to be able to get mpeg2 files off the DrBx HDD. But alas I only have tools like PVASrtumento to convert the captured stream to DVD mpeg format running on PC. But it will be interesting to see what one can and can't do from mac. I run the useful and cheap BitVice on Mac but that ain't needed when they are already mpegs.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Is this any use?

How to stream from DB to Mac OS X.

Hardware & Software required :
- a dreambox Very Happy
- a Mac
- Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) (the only I tested, other versions should work as well)
- MPlayer 2 (http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/)
- a web browser (Safari, ...)

Procedure:

1. using the browser, connect to the DB web interface (http://dreambox or http://192.168.0.99) - replace the name or ip address with your actual IP address or name

2. Write down the video and audio stream ID. This is displayed in the upper right part of the screen : vpid =0xYYY apid=0xZZZ

3. Open MPlayer, Select the File -> Open Location menu

4. Enter the stream URL : http://dreambox:31339/0xYYY,0xZZZ
(replace dreambox with the actual name or IP address of your dreambox)

The player will buffer the stream and start playing. I noticed some sound synchronization problem.
This should work also with VLC but I did not manage it to start displaying the stream... probably a VLC bug/problem

Enjoy !

From user sebsto in the FAQ section at satcity.nl....

I'm sure he won't mind!