Dreambox 500-S satellitesuperstore

tescor

Reaction score
h**p://www.satellitesuperstore.co.uk claim the Dreambox 500-S has "an inbuilt Dragon type CAM". I have a Dreambox 500-S and I have seen no evidence of an inbuilt CAM. Other points to consider is that it's very easy to invalidate the warranty of a Dreambox receiver. If you personally fit a hard drive (to receivers which can accept a hard drive) this will invalidate the warranty. Satellite superstore don't (as far as I'm aware) mention that. With the 500-S, I don't think you would be able to decrypt anything without replacing the software with an aftermarket image. Any modification of the software will invalidate the warranty. I have not been able to get my DM500 to perform even the most basic tasks. I haven't found any program which will enable me to successfully manipulate the channels on my receiver - DreamBoxEdit doesn't work for me (my system is Windows XP with service pack 1) . My receiver won' t move my dish. Downloading channels from satellites has been very problematic. Often an incomplete list is downloaded and the receiver is highly likely to seize up during the process. I believe the remote control can only be emulated by expensive and sophisticated universal remotes (my Wizard universal is incompatable). A very important point is that you can't use the DM500's power supply to operate your dish motor (as this will also invalidate the warranty). I'd say traders have an obligation to prominently mention the above three ways in which the warranty may be invalidated. I would say anybody would need to research long and hard before having any success with decryption. I had few problems in setting up my Technomate reciver to track the Arc from 45 East to 45 West). This was child's play in comparison to working with the seriously undeveloped DM500. Also the FIREcrypt XplusTV smartcard hasn't yet worked with my DM500 (I've tried quite a few images). Pi_dm500 is the best one I've tried but it still only gets 29 channels from Astra 28.2 degrees east. To get the rest I would have to manually enter the details of about 90 transponders. If you're looking for a monumental technological challenge you might like to think about investing in a DM500.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Welcome tescor

Sorry you're having such problems with your Dreambox.

Have you read the guide at the top of the Linux section?

These receivers are not the simples to own, or run, but worth the effort. I'm sure everyone that has one, has had good days and many bad days.

The more effort you put into understanding the way they work the more you will get out of them.

As for invalidating your warranty with software and hard disk upgrades - you can always install the manufacturers image or remove the drive if you have any warranty issues.

Spend some more time here then break your problems down into manageable chunks - come back and ask for help - you'll find it all here.

Don't give up - the final goal is well worth it!

tescor

Reaction score
Thanks gameboy

I think that dream multimedia would have little difficulty in determining whether or not a non factory image had been installed (by using basic data recovery software). Formatting or erasing data storage devices doesn't normally remove all traces of the data, so the flash memory may have to be properly wiped.

Also it may not be possible to replace the non factory image (in the event of problems) as the process of erasing and flashing can be a little dodgy (I found that some versions of dreamup would not work properly). Re removal of hard drives - I think that some evidence of the installation of a hard drive would probably be left in the flash memory so this also may need to be properly wiped (which may or may not be a practical proposition).

I'll check out the guide in the Linux section which you mention

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
tescor said:
flashing can be a little dodgy

The box is designed to have other images loaded and they encourage users to design them. The problem is with loaded CAMs and Keys.

A flash erase should remove all traces - you can load an 'erase' image before you load the official one, if you're worried.

Again with the HDD I don't think you would have a warranty problem. It's not as if you've done something the box wasn't designed for.

Don't know a single person who has a Dreambox that hasn't added another image - that's what they're designed for!

Have fun - and let me know how you get on - happy dreaming.

tescor

Reaction score
This is pure speculation - I suspect that a relationship may exist between various entities - connected with the satellite industry such as Dream Multimedia, British Sky broadcasting etc and this (apparently unbiased) collection of "satellite enthusiasts". You don't have to be a genius to figure out the benefits which might come from such relationships.

tescor

Reaction score
Thanks Game Boy - I think you are venturing quite some distance into the realms of "spin". Dream multimedia clearly state that "if the software is modified" the warranty will be invalidated. Normally, erasing data from storage devices requires about 7 fairly time-consuming wipes. It may be that Linux is completely different from Windows in this respect (but I doubt it).

tescor

Reaction score
Dream Multimedia clearly state in their manual that if a hard drive is fitted by other your dealer - the warranty will be invalidated. There is also the fact that the receiver's power supply is (quite amazingly) not able to drive a disecq 1.2motor (that means forking out at least another £40 for a Vbox or similar). If you break the rules and then decide to return your satellite receiver, you would be taking the risk of having to pay at the very least for the two-way delivery charges.

rhubarbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600PVR (Poorly)
TF6000 (Poorly)
SkyHD
My Location
Cheshire
Hmm. It's well known that the guy you bought yours from doesn't like disecq motors: I have my own opinion of why not but no evidence to support this so I won't mention it here.

You can't fit a HDD to a dm-500s, so we won't discuss that either: suffice to say I have an email from dmm to the effect that if you know what you're doing installing a hdd won't invalidate warranty.

As to the psu not being allowed to drive the motor, if you lok in the dm-500s manual it goes inot detail of setting up the motor settings using gotoxx and a motor, so, if you're not allowed to use the psu of the dm-500s what is the point of the instructions telling you how to do it?

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
the dreambox and the motek motor are not compatible.works great with a manhattan motor and also the stab100/120 motors.

TWAG

Butterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000s serving 4 500s. 2 fixed dishes + 1 motor.
Dragon 4.1
My Location
Mayo, Ireland
I installed a hard drive on a 7000s and had hydra image installed on flash. Returned the box to dream for a tuner problem and it was fixed under warranty no problem.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
the dreambox and the motek motor are not compatible

Oh Sh*t! I best stop using mine then...

A DB500s works fine with a Motek HH Motor (turning a 90cm dish).

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
i have the dreambox 7000 and 7020 and it doesnt work ,

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
mhku said:

I would keep on using it Mark. If there was any problems with it, It would have blown up by now. I remember when you were setting it up..lol

rhubarbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600PVR (Poorly)
TF6000 (Poorly)
SkyHD
My Location
Cheshire
You could always do what I decided to do: buy a cheap Technomate TM1500 + CI and use that to move the dish. Slave the dm-500S to it. I gather that dm-500s with 3rd party images doesn't work well with USALS anyway. TM1500 + CI with a D*rkM*n p*tch cost £105.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
mhku said:

:D. I agree !. My SG2100 also works fine with the dreambox (5620). Regarding loss of warranty, as someone who has actually had his box repaired, let me point out two facts :-

(1) No receiver manufacturer can openly condone illegal use, otherwise it will be closed down and prosecuted.

(2) No manufactirer will give warranty for when unauthorised people open the box.

These two facts apply to not just dreamboxes but to all industrial products.

I am surprised if the suppliers said one could not use a H-H diseqc motor. I think this is rubbish as the official images allow any motorised configuration. The limitation for such motors is the size of the dish and wind exposure. Anyway how would anybody know what motor you are using. The same goes for softwares, as somebody already said.

Anyway, in the worst scenario when a repair is necessary, the official supplier will get it done for a ceiling price. I my case it was about £90. Regards, pcd.