Dreambox 500s or 7000s?

Kris75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000s
My Location
Denmark
Hi
I want to buy a dreambox for my sat. I know a little about Linux systems, so here are my questions. For the same amount of money i can buy a used Dreambox 7000s or a new 500s. Which should i choose? What is the diference between them? I want to use the box to recieve the sat signal and eventually buy another dreambox for my bedroom where i also want to get the signal via my local network. Is one of them easyer to setup than the other?

Kris :)

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
the 7000s has more memory, can be extended with a hard disk for sat-recording, and has more images and a better support than the 500s.
Both are equally capable of in-house cardsharing.
I'd go for a 7000s in the living and a cheaper 500s in the bedroom.

Kris75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000s
My Location
Denmark
Ill take the 7000, thanks for the help! :)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
has more images and a better support than the 500s

How many images do you need?

So user's of this forum will help a 7000 owner in preference to a 500 owner? I think not!({})

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, no but I think that there is more available for the DM7000. ;)

And of course DM7000 owners are nicer people. :-lmao

Kris75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000s
My Location
Denmark
mhku said:
How many images do you need?

What does the images do to the machine? As i said, im new at this :)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Images are in essence the software on the box e.g. Gemini 2.7 or PLi.

But us 500s owners are much cheaper than 7000s owners :p

Kris75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000s
My Location
Denmark
mhku said:
Images are in essence the software on the box e.g. Gemini 2.7 or PLi.

What are difference between the images and where can they be downloaded?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The differences are features and support.

A good one to start with is Gemini (make sure that you read the Idiot's guide several times and have the null modem cable!). You can get it from i-have-a-dreambox or sat-key.org > dreambox files > DM500s.

Good Luck!

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium
mhku said:
You can get it from i-have-a-dreambox or sat-key.org > dreambox files > DM500s.
ih his case it'll be DM7000s, I guess. But yes, you are right, he's going to have to do a lot of reading first.
Kris,
a dreambox is a unix machine, running on a unix kernel. On top of this kernal you can place a graphic interface, called an image. There are many images for the dreambox, some better than others, but mostly it's a question of personal taste. Make sure your dreambox is connected to a pc network, and has a gateway to the internet. You are going to neet a lot of tools on your pc to maintain the dreambox settings and to install images and other tools. You will need to download and install emulators from the internet, this can be done from within most images, and you will have to find & install the latest key files to open scrambeled tv stations like TPS, Polsat or Digital+. You want cardsharing with another dreambox in the bedroom. Although possible, this is not the easiest thing to do, you will need to have some knowledge of networking, ftp, tcp-ip and ports. All the information is widely available on the internet, much can be found on this site, much more on other sites. It's a case of being patient, searching & reading, and expanding your knowledge gradually. If, after all that, you're still having problemes, then there are more than enough people on the dreambox forums who are willing to help you. Just don't expect it to be easy, it won't. Don't want everything at once, do it gradually. You can easily ruin a working image so that your dreambox won't even start up any more. But it's also quite easy to re-install a new image so that you can start all over again, so be sure to back up your stuff, and keep the null-modem cable at hand.

Kris75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000s
My Location
Denmark
Hi again

Yes, i decided to buy the 7000s, it has the Peter Pan img. Which pages on the internet would you prefer to start reading on if you were a newbie at Dreambox (besides www.satellites.co.uk)? Where do i download the different images and do they all have the same funktions avaliable?

DCG

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm 7000 and 7020
cas 3
blue ice cam
sv card
redlight card
seca cam
reality cam
opos 1.03 and 1.05
lynksys router
gold cards
fun cards
1.1 mtr trix dish
0.3 sharp lnb
hh100 moter
xplus tv and inxtc card
s_x view +
ceribro card
My Location
just above the earth
try satdudez or the den you will find images at dudez m8

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium

Kris75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000s
My Location
Denmark
Great, thanks for all your help. Now i have a lot to get startet with. The last newbie question i have is, what are cams? Im danish, so i also have to understand all the english expressions. :-ohmy

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium
a CAM (Conditional Access Module) is a PCMCIA-adapter that goes into the receiver and which allows you to use (and update) satellite cards or descramble some channels. Well known CAMs are Matrix and Dragon.
but actually you won't need any of them -stupid me- as you can use emulator software on the dreambox to achieve the same thing. Just install the latest newcamd and camd3 emulators, and upload the latest keyfiles, that'll do the trich.
but it's good reading stuff anyway :p

Kris75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000s
My Location
Denmark
Ah ok, thanks. First im going to use my already paid for Canal digital (conax) card and make it work at first. Then i can start experimenting with cams.
This sounds like a miracle box when you can control it. Im getting the 7000s friday, so i think i have to clear my calender for the weekend and the next 6 month. Youre for sure going to hear from me again in here ;-) Thanks everybody for your help and time for now.