Dreambox 5620S 5620 Networking

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020S; DBox2 DVB-C; 1.1m Triax twin LNB for Astra & Hotbird; 90cm Sky dish for Hispa; 4-way Diseqc
My Location
Belfast
Could somebody please advise me on networking a dreambox 5620s to a PC (I have a router with ip 192.168.2. another digit x). My PC's ip on my wirelss network 192.162.2.another digit y.

I have set my dreambox ip to 192.168.2.4 and the name server and gateway to my router's ip, although I am not using it. I am connecting my PC direct to the dreambox.

I tried using the dreamup and dream control centre software and got the message, network not ok.

Also, the 2 lights (green and yellow) on my PC's rj45 port does not light up when I connect the dreambox to my PC. The lights on my rj45 port on my laptop also does not light up (I suspect the dreambox is not 'talking' to my pc)

Please advise.

I could flash the box using a null modem cable.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
If you are connecting your Dreambox directly to your PC then you will need a CAT5 crossover cable (instead of a straight-through patch cable).

If you're not sure which you have, you may be able to see where the coloured wires connect to the pins on the RJ45's. If they are the same both ends, then you have a standard patch cable. You could also test with a meter.

If I understand your setup correctly, in that your PC has both a wireless connection to your network via a WAP, and a 10/100 Ethernet connection to which you are trying to connect your Dreambox, then you will also have to assign another (different) IP address to the Ethernet network adaptor in your PC (so your PC is seen as TWO IP nodes). Go to network settings for your Ethernet adaptor, properties, advanced tab, then select IP protocol, properties, then set the IP... (or something like that based on your OS, assuming Windows).

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020S; DBox2 DVB-C; 1.1m Triax twin LNB for Astra & Hotbird; 90cm Sky dish for Hispa; 4-way Diseqc
My Location
Belfast
Thanks M8.

I will get the cross over cable from Maplin tomorrow and would let you know.

In the meanwhile, I tried the (direct) patch cable by connecting the dreambox to the router (Dreambox ip in expert setup:192.168.2.4 (I tried this) and nameserver & gateway 192.168.2.1). The nameserver and gateway 192.168.2.1 is my Belkin wireless router ip.

I got the message "Check dreambox ip".

I will try using the cross over cable by connecting my PC direct to the dreambox, through my network port.

Should I assign an ip to my PC's wired network card (Say 192.168.10? And should I put 192.168.10 in the nameserver and gateway in the expert setup?)
confused.gif

FYI, my pc's ip under wireless connection is 192.168.2.2 (But I don't think I need to use that).

Anyway, I am using the easy way (null modem cable, for the time being)
smile.gif

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
If your router has RJ45 ports (like a standard hub) as well as acting as a wireless access point, then plugging the Dreambox directly into it using your standard patch cable should have worked fine (unless the port is an uplink port to another hub). Did you reboot everything and power everything off at the same time? You should be able to ping all the various bits from your PC by getting a command prompt up (Start/Run/'command'), and typing 'ping 192.168.2.x'. You should be able to ping both your router and your Dreambox.

Check your settings with 'ipconfig /all'.

You say you got the message "Check dreambox ip". From where?

You also said :-

"Should I assign an ip to my PC's wired network card (Say 192.168.10)?"

You should make it 192.168.2.10

"And should I put 192.168.10 in the nameserver and gateway in the expert setup?"

No, your Dreambox settings look OK as they are. It should point straight to your router.

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Thanks again M8.

I got a 3m cross over cable from Maplin (£5.99) and it worked fine (Just had to type the dreambox ip in the Dream control centre software).

I am currently connecting my PC direct to the box. During my free time, I will try connecting it through my router.

I did not know that there were 2 types of patch cable (straight and crossover).

Cheers and all the best.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Cool, Glad to help.:)