Dreambox 8000 to an AVR via HDMI (advantages/dis-advantages)

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
80cm Orbital Satellite Dish
Motorized
LNB with 2 outputs, 2nd output leading to upstairs and using Dreambox 500S.
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K Amp/Receiver,
My Location
Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland
Instead of using optical from the box to an AVR for audio and HDMI to TV for video, can I connect straight to the AVR via HDMI and remove the optical?

If yes, when the AVR is powered off (just on standby) will the signal still pass through to the tv?

Also, now that there's 3D now, and the my amp being v1.3 and not v1.4, will I still get 3D from the box to the tv??

If I am able to do this, what options become available (audio and video) i.e, 7.1 surround sound, more selection of audio formats, Dolby Digital, DTS, THX etc etc??

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
80cm Orbital Satellite Dish
Motorized
LNB with 2 outputs, 2nd output leading to upstairs and using Dreambox 500S.
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K Amp/Receiver,
My Location
Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland
Has anyone got their box set up this way?

Sephiro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000 HD
My Location
Paisley
I actually assumed that as the DM8000 has a DVI output rather than an HDMI output that it would just carry picture without sound, however I've just removed the optical connection and switched my AVR over to use the HDMI connection for sound and I'm getting full 5.1 sound for channels that support it so it looks like you can safely ditch the optical cable.

As for whether the HDMI pass-through will still work when your AVR is in standby it's really down to the AVR in question - my Marantz SR7002 has an option to keep the pass-through powered during standby (not that I have the option enabled) but I'd guess that some AVRs won't support this to bring costs down.

Not owning a 3D tv I can't give you an answer on the 3D question, however there's been a bit of debate on the matter on avforums and it seems to be a bit hit and miss as to whether the AVRs with HDMI v1.3 will manage to pass through the video.