DreamBox and PC OS question

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Can't the DreamBox be programmed using Windows 98SE?

If not what is the minimum OS>

thanks

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
If programming via LAN (Ethernet) connection using FTP, it really don't matter. Any FTP client that runs is fine.

If using utility to program via serial port, then it just depends on whether the util will run under a given operating system.

You can always run programs on Windows XP in Win95 mode...

Does this answer your question, or have I got the wrong end of the STICK?!?!

STICK

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Good answer - to complicate matters I am using Virtual PC/Window 98 on a Mac. i have other OSs but they take up more memory the higher they get.

I can FTP using the 100 base Ethernet connection on the Mac but unsure of the Windows software for updating Keys etc.

Would it be better to load Linux onto one of my drives - boot from this and use that. I understand the DreamBox is running Linux and uses the same CPU as the Mac?

Anyone using Linux to control their box?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I know some people wouldn't use anything but Linux to talk to their Dreambox, but I'm a devoted XP fan.

FTP is the tool to use. You can do everything with that if you know where to put the files, and as a Dreambox user you're surely smart enough to figure that out given time. Hell, that's half the fun!

If you want to update the keys the easy way, then once your DB network connection is configured, you can drive the update process from the DB through the control panel options. Fully automatically!

Some channel editing utilities like Dreamboxedit may run under windows, so see my earlier note about how that would work, but personally, I wouldn't bother. Update (or download off the net) your satellites.xml file and FTP it across.

:)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Thanks again

Just getting back into satellite previously I have had Sky, since it was free, then D2Mac and still have an analogue Hotbird, Astra twin LNB set up.

Motor on it's way, new dish and universal LNB bought - next the DB, have found a 7000s with 120gig HD for Euro 409 at HM-Sat.

Is this a resonable deal or should I keep looking?

You can look forward to loads more questions when the box arrives, with be connecting it through an Ethernet router to both Mac and Broadband modem.

Don't want to open the Mac v PC forum - but have you seen the new iMac and what do you think?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
That's where I bought mine... :)

Don't forget to buy your UK 'figure 8' power lead too...

More questions? - Bring it on!

Not into Mac stuff I'm afraid. Nice CPU though! ;)

HutchTheCrutch

Reaction score
I'm about to part with some hard earned cash for a DM7000s, however I would like know if it is capable of decoding 4:2:2 feeds .... anybody know??

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Not to my knowledge.

See :-

h**p://feedfrequencies.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=644&highlight=4+2+2

You may have to register.

Not something I've really played with.

Works on my SS2 though!

STICK

HutchTheCrutch

Reaction score
Thanks. Just to answer my own question, it appears that the hardware is capable but there is no software to do the job adequately at the moment. Some of the reports suggest an 80% - 90% success rate but with either rough pictures or machine lock ups.

The suggested route is that you stream the 4:2:2 to your PC and then use TuxVision to watch it there. Not an ideal solution however it is a solution.

I would imagine that it won't belong before someone has a 4:2:2 downloadable image.

Cheers ...