Dreambox and Sky card

blacknblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD x3
My Location
Somerset
I travel abroad a lot with work, I have sky but would like to be able to record programs and back them off onto a PC to watch when travelling. Aside from a video capture setup and 'playing' the sky programs one at a time to record them I thought of a dreambox. But I'd want to use it with one of my exisiting sky cards.

I realise I may not get HD but will I be able to pair the card and get all the SD channel I subscribe to? Will I be able to set it to record series link style programs whilst away and is there any way to be able to control it remotely from say Sage TV ype software etc?

Thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I realise I may not get HD but will I be able to pair the card and get all the SD channel I subscribe to? Will I be able to set it to record series link style programs whilst away and is there any way to be able to control it remotely from say Sage TV ype software etc?

Thanks

You will be able to get the SD channels (for how long is anyones guess - it'll almost certainly be blocked in the next set of cards that will be issued in the not too distant future.

No series links on Linux boxes & the software is not as user friendly as a standard Sky box.

Remote control is possible to some degree through a web interface so you will need to set your home network up for remote access Some boxes have apps (eg Vu).

You will also need a decent upload speed

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
You could always stay with your $ly setup and get a Slingbox which will control the Sly box and relay the video and audio over the Internet to you.

blacknblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD x3
My Location
Somerset
Thanks, that's a great help. I guess I need to decide if it's worth the investment and time setting it all up if it won't work for very long.

blacknblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD x3
My Location
Somerset
You could always stay with your $ly setup and get a Slingbox which will control the Sly box and relay the video and audio over the Internet to you.

Unfortunately a lot of the loations I work at don't have reliable internet or bandwidth is limited for personal use and that isn't an option.

blacknblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD x3
My Location
Somerset
What I would really like is a way to copy the recordings made on the sky harddisk and decode them to watch on a media player connected to a standard TV. But as I understand things that's not an option at all.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Are you using (going to use) $ly kit because there's stuff on their encrypted channels that you want? If not, and all the things you want are on FTA satellite, then if you can get hold of one of the original Humax Foxsat HDRs then these are equipped as standard with the ability to download SD programmes on to a pen drive.

blacknblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD x3
My Location
Somerset
Ideal scenario would be to have the ability to decode the recorded encrypted channels after backing them onto a different disk and the card still being at home to continue recording stuff whilst I'm travelling.

However as I understand things so far that's impossible. Annoyingly it's stuff I'm paying for, I just want to be able to watch it when travelling for work without an internet connction or satellite feed.

I've started reading about +extract but whilst that gets the recordings off the disk from what I've found so far it won't let me decode encrypted stuff.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ideal scenario would be to have the ability to decode the recorded encrypted channels after backing them onto a different disk and the card still being at home to continue recording stuff whilst I'm travelling.

However as I understand things so far that's impossible. Annoyingly it's stuff I'm paying for, I just want to be able to watch it when travelling for work without an internet connction or satellite feed.

I've started reading about +extract but whilst that gets the recordings off the disk from what I've found so far it won't let me decode encrypted stuff.

Yup its impossible. You need the card to decrypt encrypted content on the fly as you play it back.