dreambox and sky cards?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They can with Newcamd.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
So can a S$y FTV card be used in a DB without being activated in a digibox?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Can I buy a S*y FTV card from a dealer?

I don't have a S*y receiver how can I pair it and use it in the Dreambox?

Would I be able to pair it in a friends box then use that box number in the Dreambox to continue using it?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
mhku said:
So can a S$y FTV card be used in a DB without being activated in a digibox?

No.

gameboy said:
Can I buy a S*y FTV card from a dealer?

From $ky. See freesat www address above somewhere. £20.

gameboy said:
I don't have a S*y receiver how can I pair it and use it in the Dreambox??

You need a digibox. Insert card and then phone $ky. Get the serial number of the digibox and plug it into NewcamD along with a modified cardserver file.

gameboy said:
Would I be able to pair it in a friends box then use that box number in the Dreambox to continue using it?

Yes, but then your m8s card almost certainly won't be paired with his box, and hence he'll no longer be your m8!

Buy a shafted, beat-up old digibox.

Schnuffi

Reaction score
My Location
Sunny, Germany
I would not pay it after seven years they would have to take
me to court.

unkletom

Reaction score
Could anyone please confirm that in order to use a sky card in my Dreambox I will need a serial phoenix programmer / smartmouse first (as suggested in other guides from other websites) - or is it just a matter of editing the softcam.cfg, entering the box id and shoving the card straight into the Dreambox card slot?

thanks....Tom

chuckles

Reaction score
unkletom said:
Could anyone please confirm that in order to use a sky card in my Dreambox I will need a serial phoenix programmer / smartmouse first (as suggested in other guides from other websites) - or is it just a matter of editing the softcam.cfg, entering the box id and shoving the card straight into the Dreambox card slot?

thanks....Tom

Dont wish to be rude, but you have not read the thread.
You do not need a Phoenix, but you do need to use newcamd, suitably edited etc. Its all explained earlier in the thread.

unkletom

Reaction score
chuckles said:
Dont wish to be rude, but you have not read the thread.

Sorry Chuckles! Just needed to make sure as I was getting conflicting information from other people. Thanks for the info!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, here, we don't DO conflicting! :D

If it's wrong - we fix it!

chuckles

Reaction score
Having re-read this thread and received the odd request, I thought it might be useful to post the following, at the risk of repeating everything or "teaching Granny to suck eggs"!

S*y cards and Newcamd

You need cardserver0961 and cardserv.cfg files.
The 0961 file needs to be ftp'd into the var/bin/ directory to replace the cardserver file there. It needs also to be renamed to cardserver, cardserve or cardserver.??? depending on the image you are using. (Gemeni is cardserver) Change mod to 755.
Carserv.cfg needs to go in to var/tuxbox/config/.

Then edit the cardserv.cfg file with Ultraedit and insert the seriel no. from you digibox in the line BOXID=0000000000.
seriel no. is as is on your system menus ie not hex.

Some folk report success with notepad to edit cardserv.cfg first, then ftp to DB, but that did not work for me.
I suggest a reboot then hopefully you're away.

The edited section of cardserv.cfg should read something like this.

SERIAL_PORT = 0
TCP_PORT = 10000
BOXID = xxxxxxxxxxxx
EMM-G = yes
EMM-S = yes
EMM-U = yes
SPECIAL_FEATURES = no
DISABLE_PIN = yes

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi Chuckles
Great write up, I read it and even understood it. So now you know what's coming :p : How about you join an elite group of idiot writers? Please go to our Idiot guide, and post it there? I suppose you don't need to do much but copy and paste the text, insert a few smilies, and next time someone asks you, you just go RTFM

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000 + 300Gb + Gemini, HH100 Rotor, 0.8m Offset Dish, 0.3db Invacom LNB
My Location
Hampshire, UK
wallycharlo said:
i am getting a picture freeze which lasts for about a second every now and then ... this only started yesterday ... anyone else ?
What DB do you have?
I have seen this (1 sec pause every 10mins or so) if I watch while recording - I think it is related to the weak PSU in my box (rev. 1 DB7000S), as it stops of I kill the record and let the HDD spin down.
icon9.gif

Time to xfer the HDD to its own PSU for a while I think.
icon6.gif

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
djlemur said:
What DB do you have?
I have seen this (1 sec pause every 10mins or so) if I watch while recording - I think it is related to the weak PSU in my box (rev. 1 DB7000S), as it stops of I kill the record and let the HDD spin down.
icon9.gif

Time to xfer the HDD to its own PSU for a while I think.
icon6.gif

i also have a 7000, and also get the prob you see while recording. i also get other strange effects, like sometimes i just get audio and no video, i needed to zap up and down again in order to get picture !

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
another interesting fact ...

I have 2 sky cards, one with a sports sub (irish) and another FTV card for ITV/C4..

The FTV card had been out of my digibox for about 2-3 weeks. last nigth i put it in, and it would no longer work ... i left it in overnigth, and it seemed it updated cause it was working this morning.

my irish card has been in my dreambox for at least a month, and gives no probs. so, it seems the card updates fine in a dreambox?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
wallycharlo said:
another interesting fact ...

I have 2 sky cards, one with a sports sub (irish) and another FTV card for ITV/C4..

The FTV card had been out of my digibox for about 2-3 weeks. last nigth i put it in, and it would no longer work ... i left it in overnigth, and it seemed it updated cause it was working this morning.

my irish card has been in my dreambox for at least a month, and gives no probs. so, it seems the card updates fine in a dreambox?

Hope so. That's the $64M question. We just need to find someone who's prepared to leave their FTV card in a drawer for a month and then put it back into the Dreambox for 48hrs!

Bagsy not me!

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
BGonaSTICK said:
Hope so. That's the $64M question. We just need to find someone who's prepared to leave their FTV card in a drawer for a month and then put it back into the Dreambox for 48hrs!

Bagsy not me!

Sir Sir |Sir Thats Me, Bought one a while ago on e bay. Put it into sky receiver to see if it works and it did. Took it back out and left it on the shelf because I was going to put it it a digibox i had in the kitchen, No cable yet to receiver as the ouad lnb would not work so I left it until I get another one. Anyway newcamd came along with NDS and eventually got it working last night. Put in the ftv card in and it worked. ITV 123, CH 4,5, etc. That card must have being lying there for nearly 3 mts. So Stick it works.
A problem I have now is that the sports and movies wont work with it, The box id was not put in right. Do I enter all the 0. My 1st 3 nos begin with 0.
And thanks Chuckles for the help.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
So if I use a friends STB number (boxid) with a FTV card and use it in my Dreambox, will it affect his card in any way?

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
mhku said:
So if I use a friends STB number (boxid) with a FTV card and use it in my Dreambox, will it affect his card in any way?

Any boxid no works with a FTV card, just make one up 10 nos. You need the proper boxid no for all ch to work. So I believe.

chuckles

Reaction score
john_graydon said:
Sir Sir |Sir Thats Me, Bought one a while ago on e bay. Put it into sky receiver to see if it works and it did. Took it back out and left it on the shelf because I was going to put it it a digibox i had in the kitchen, No cable yet to receiver as the ouad lnb would not work so I left it until I get another one. Anyway newcamd came along with NDS and eventually got it working last night. Put in the ftv card in and it worked. ITV 123, CH 4,5, etc. That card must have being lying there for nearly 3 mts. So Stick it works.
A problem I have now is that the sports and movies wont work with it, The box id was not put in right. Do I enter all the 0. My 1st 3 nos begin with 0.
And thanks Chuckles for the help.

You need all the 10 digits from your digibox serial no.
I suggest you use the FTP option in Ultraedit's file menu and work directly with the cardserv.cfg file. You can edit and save without sending the file back and forth to your PC.

Phil_S

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ PVR1
Dreambox 5620
P3 900MHz
chuckles said:
Having re-read this thread and received the odd request, I thought it might be useful to post the following, at the risk of repeating everything or "teaching Granny to suck eggs"!

S*y cards and Newcamd

You need cardserver0961 and cardserv.cfg files.
The 0961 file needs to be ftp'd into the var/bin/ directory to replace the cardserver file there. It needs also to be renamed to cardserver, cardserve or cardserver.??? depending on the image you are using. (Gemeni is cardserver) Change mod to 755.
Carserv.cfg needs to go in to var/tuxbox/config/.

Then edit the cardserv.cfg file with Ultraedit and insert the seriel no. from you digibox in the line BOXID=0000000000.
seriel no. is as is on your system menus ie not hex.

Some folk report success with notepad to edit cardserv.cfg first, then ftp to DB, but that did not work for me.
I suggest a reboot then hopefully you're away.

The edited section of cardserv.cfg should read something like this.

SERIAL_PORT = 0
TCP_PORT = 10000
BOXID = xxxxxxxxxxxx
EMM-G = yes
EMM-S = yes
EMM-U = yes
SPECIAL_FEATURES = no
DISABLE_PIN = yes

I don't have any problem with being taught how to suck eggs! What I have had a problem with is finding the cardserver0961 and cardserv.cfg files. I have searched all over for them with no success at all so can anyone point me in the right direction to find them please?

Thanks

Phil