Dreambox Communication

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a sky mini dish + a Dreambox 600S with Gemini- 430 and CCcam 2.0.8
My Location
Cornwall UK
hi in response to what I have read about communication setup and networking in the guide. I have the following questions. Firstly for my router ip that should be the same as DNS server or should it be external ip address? Secondly how do i add the dreambox ip to my windows firewall? and finally in which network connection should I allow sharing the LAN connection comes up as unplugged 1394 and wireless are what I use for internet I think. Sorry no screenshots need to figure out basics first. I also think its worth adding that when I ping the address it comes up with 4 time outs Thanks

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
1. The router IP address is the LAN IP address of your router.

This is often 10.0.0.2 or 192.168.0.1, as shown in the Communication Setup Guide

11304d1179312789-ultimate-idiot-guide-idiots-idiots-answers-questions-tips-tricks-RTFM-communication_setup-gif

If you can ping the Dreambox from your PC then it is probably configured correctly. A screenshot will help.

2. I don't know as I don't use Windows Firewall. You need to add the Dreambox IP address to the Trusted Zone if it has one.

3. You don't need to setup connection sharing if the Dreambox is connected directly to your router.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
ok i have just read the previous thread and must clarify that I am connecting the dreambox directly to the laptop no via a router as its upstairs I have purchased an ethernet cable but it seems I too may need a crossover cable? Can you tell me for sure? As i dont want to buy something else that is not useful Cheers

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Yes, you need a crossover cable. There is another recent post on the same method of connection.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
ok forget that i have just looked at my cable and it says CAT5E Patch cord cable so i think this is a crossover cable right

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You can tell by the colours. Hold the ends to each other: do the colours match?

_http://www.perfectdrivers.com/fileext.html

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Yes, you need a crossover cable when you connect directly to your laptop or computer. I now use a router, but when I had I direct connection I used to use tzo use the windows "create a home network" (or whatever it is called) to get it set up, it usually does the trick regards the windows firewall.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
yes the colours match so that means that its not a crossover cable huh? Ive read some of the other posts and still am unsure let me tell you what I have and can you please advise me. I have a laptop and a BT router upstairs my laptop is connected to the router via a wireless connection. It is impractible to run a cable to the router so what is my best option for connecting ? Do i have to setup a wireless connection between dreambox and router or can I connect my dreambox to laptop?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
It all depends what the distances are. I suggest you start by getting your laptop connected directly to the Dreambox to start with, and then once ou are more faminiar with the whole networking thing you can decide what to do. I got my box connected to a wireless router via cable, and then I can use whatever computer on the network to access the dreambox.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
I would prefer to just have the box connected to my laptop via a cable if this is possible?

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
sorry i have seemed to get confused Can someone please tell me is it a crossover cable i need to connect my laptop directly to the dream box if i am connected wirelessly to the net i.e. wirelessly to my BT router

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yes, dreambox directly to computer needs crossover. You can also use the crossover for a router.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
I have my crossover cable and am still having problems setting up my communication.

Here is my communication page

harpdog

Reaction score
I find the best thing for my laptop is to use a cheap hub. u need no configuring whatso ever then use dcc to communicate directly with db and laptop.

please do not expose your personal Ip but the 192 is for a router instead put your personal ip there

now call your provider request a new ip and then put your new ip in the 192 place

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
I have called my provider and requested a new ip they asked me if it was for my computer or router. They advised me not to change router address and they talked me through chaning my computer ip address manually then when i did ipconfig it hadnt changed so i called them back and they said they did not have the expertise to help me change my computer ip address and for me to call my laptop vendor?

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Also can you explain more about the hub and how it works Thanks

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Why do you want to change your PC IP address?

Where is the screenshot from post #14?

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
I removed it it was manually typed by me as because i havent been able to establish a communication i am unable to save screenshots the poster who replied said i should not display my ip address and then advised me to change it as seen in the posts above now I am getting different info from everybody and getting confused Thanks. Please if you can advise me

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
LAN IP addresses can be posted e.g. 192.168.0.1, as they're meaningless.

What is your PC LAN IP address and the IP address of your Dreambox? You need the IP addresses to be on the same range. See post #2

The key advice so far is "connect the Dreambox to your PC with a crossover cable" :)

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Dreambox IP 192.168.0.24
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Type LAN
Nameserver 192.168.1.254
Gateway 192.168.1.254

My router ip is
Router IP 192.168.1.254

I have it connected to my laptop via crossover cable. I think i posted my computer IP address on post 14 and then removed it. Is there a security threat because of this is this why harpdog suggested i get a new one?