Dreambox dm500s and motorised dish not used in over a year.

newdreamer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised dish
My Location
uk
Please help.

After an hiatus of over 1 year, I am now trying to use my dreambox but it seems it is completely dead. Another forum suggested that I should reset the factory settings, which I have done but I am unable to flash the dreamup software back to it (the file keeps hanging at the nessage saying that I should switch on my dreambox).

I have tried to search for new transponders and satellites - nothing is happening. I am happy to pay a professional who is local to NW London to help with the repair or, if there is any suggestion from the forum on how I can repair it myself I will be grateful. I have tried reading different threads but I am so new to the hobby that I am not as quick on the topics as I could be. Thanks a lot for your help.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Welcome to the forum :)

How are you trying to flash it? With DreamUP and a null modem cable?

kebabinho

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500S
80cm dish
.2db lnb
Gemini 3.5
CCcam1.71
Sky netgear wireless router
zoom gameport ethernet adapter
satankeybundle + autoupdater
My Location
UK
i get the same when trying to use a LAN cable and dreamup. It only works if i use the null modem cable

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
same happened to me with a LAN cable, turned out the cable has to be a crossover 1 for it to work, otherwise you get nothing. Ive ordered a crossover cable and if that doesnt work ill have to go with the old out of favour fashioned screwy serial port null modem one lol

newdreamer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised dish
My Location
uk
Thanks for the responses. I am using a null modem cable with a converter that allows me to use the usb port on my laptop i.e. usb port on my laptop, attached to a converter from Maplin, which is in turn connected to the null modem cable that came with the box.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
nice 1, i aint got my crossover cable yet but im unsure what to do really, if you manage to get yours set up and transfering you think you could help me in what to do newdreamer?

blueboyrio

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5200USB Echolink, 80cm dish and a motor
My Location
Blue Planet
There is a software that creates a virtual port than you can connect through your usb. I forgot the name of the software ...something null cable. I had the same problem then I got an old computer with Com port, connected the null cable and bingo! my dreambox was up and running again.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yeah ive heard that about that, u connect null cable to usb port and that does it for you, im not sure about the software i persumed you used the same software or ftp software, but im transfering using the crossover cable whenever it arrives, im not sure which method is quicker but its only to transfer a few things so shouldnt really make all that much difference

techmob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish, superjack dg120, technomate 1500ci+
My Location
north wales
i had trouble getting dreamup to respond with a null cable when it asks me to turn on the dreambox .

This may be obvious to you, but it may not so that is why i am posting it incase it helps

i have the dreambox powered on, i unplug the cable from the back of the dreambox (leaving plug switch, switched on)

i then click connect on dreamup, dreamup tells me it is ready and to turn on the dreambox

i then plug the dreambox cable back into the dreambox and dreamup powers up

i used to have problems with a particular pc's com port and managed everytime to do it this way

maybe of help, may not be :p

newdreamer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised dish
My Location
uk
Thanks all for your input. I will try them and feed back.