DREAMBOX DM500S and the dreambox dm7000s

Striker10

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
top of flats, london
Hi,

I was looking into buying one of them, probally the dm7 but I was wondering if someone can tell me in laymans terms what the difference between the two is? Can you get more channels with one or the other (are the same emus supported) also I read that the dm7s tuner isn't that good so you needs a good lnb with a strong signal from the dish, does the dm5000s have a bad tuner too? My final question :D , is if you bought one would you ever have to buy another and if a feature was implimented into a future box is it practical or is their a place you can send it to, to be upgraded? I'm really doing research on this one because i'm made an ({}) of myself in the past lol.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Striker10 said:
can tell me in laymans terms what the difference between the two is?

The 7000 can have a hard disk fitted and a USB port - the latest boxs have the same tuner as far as i know.

Striker10 said:
Can you get more channels with one or the other

Same number - limited only by memory

Striker10 said:
(are the same emus supported)

As far as I know - yes

Striker10 said:
I read that the dm7s tuner isn't that good so you needs a good lnb with a strong signal from the dish, does the dm5000s have a bad tuner too?

I am using the £3.99 Lidl LNB and it's fine - same tuner in the latest boxes.

if you bought one would you ever have to buy another and if a feature was implimented into a future box is it practical or is their a place you can send it to, to be upgraded?

Nothing lasts for ever so the answer is no.

They have new receivers on the way with twin tuners and DVD recorders - you pay you money and you take a chance...

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
and a comparison to the 5620s model too, for those considering a DB in the near future (handbrake withstanding ;))?

Cheers :)

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
HI Folks,

I bought my 7000 some time back now so there wern't so many to chose from.
However, if I bought one now and I didn't get a 7000 then, in my own opinion I would have made an arme of myself!!
Get a 7000, set up multiboot and get playing. The game is great. It's actually put the fun back into a technical type hobby for me.

I'm using what was a Lidl analogue system + second LNB and DiSEqC switch + Dreambox.

73 & greesons seatings to all.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Sorry for second post but further quick thoughts.
The 5 series have less memory than the 7k so they need special images, usually out later than 7k images. So you have to wait.
With smaller memory an no way to multiboot the 5 series cannot take many add-ons (emu's etc) as the 7k.
With the 7k and multiboot add-ons are almost unlimited!
Finally an analogy. When you want to run a program on your PC you load it from HDD (like Dreambox multiboot) you don't re-flash the PC's BIOS every time you want to run a different program (like flashing an image to Dreambox flash). An we all know how dodgy re-flashing a BIOS can be!!

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

1.8m Channel Master soon to be installed
My Location
Doncaster
Sorry to jump on your post but, I am swaying towards the 5620, due to me basically not wanting to record to HDD. If they both do the same viewing job then thats fine by me, plus they're a lot cheaper.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Djc,

I accept what you say but:-
Smaller internal memory = special image usually produced some time after the 7k image.
No ability to multiboot. So; If your image fails horribly then its back to the RS232 and DreamUp. No ability to try an image while still keeping a known good one available. Likewise with trying emu's or addons.
Finally, if you want to try different images, the constant re-flashing of DB internal memory. This is advised against in the Klona guide and my analogy was like re-flashing your PC bios each time you wanted to run a different program. Better to start your programs (images) from USB/HDD like a PC.

I think the 7k is worth the extra but if finance is tight then any DB is good.

73 & drappy heaming.