Dreambox / Fringe Reception

C

Coca-Cooper

Does any one have any experience of using a Dreambox 7000 in a Fringe Reception area? I'm thinking about buying one and using it to receive BBC (and other channels :) ) in Cyprus.

Cheers

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
Coca-Cooper said:
Does any one have any experience of using a Dreambox 7000 in a Fringe Reception area? I'm thinking about buying one and using it to receive BBC (and other channels :) ) in Cyprus.

Cheers

Coca-C
The DB is reputed to have poorer sensitivity than many other receivers and it is said that this will be sorted in the next version due out soon. But poor sensitivity can always be overcome by a larger dish -- up to a limit. It's just a question of the downlink power budget. You want to be 1dB C/N above threshold when it rains heavy. I assume you have checked with m8s what size dish they use for BBC (off Astra 2?) because I think it has to be humungously ginormous in Cyprus to get the current tight beam on UK. It may even be outside the lobes. There is a map in this months What Sat showing the dish size you need for BBC and I think it goes out to Cyprus. Think big. Think very big.

C

Coca-Cooper

haggard said:
Coca-C
The DB is reputed to have poorer sensitivity than many other receivers and it is said that this will be sorted in the next version due out soon. But poor sensitivity can always be overcome by a larger dish -- up to a limit. It's just a question of the downlink power budget. You want to be 1dB C/N above threshold when it rains heavy. I assume you have checked with m8s what size dish they use for BBC (off Astra 2?) because I think it has to be humungously ginormous in Cyprus to get the current tight beam on UK. It may even be outside the lobes. There is a map in this months What Sat showing the dish size you need for BBC and I think it goes out to Cyprus. Think big. Think very big.

Thanks for the info.

I currently have a 2.7m dish with an Amstrad Digibox viewing BBC 24/7. When you say the next version, do you mean the Operating System or the box itself?

Thanks again.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Would recommend the Triple Dragon instead which got a very sensitive tuner and is much more advanced than Dreambox is, Dreambox is a pretty old receiver now.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Coca-Cooper said:
Thanks for the info.

I currently have a 2.7m dish with an Amstrad Digibox viewing BBC 24/7. When you say the next version, do you mean the Operating System or the box itself?

Thanks again.
There are new HW versions, eliminating all the supposed weak points of the 7000 on the way. Could still be a few months off though. They have a better tuner.

Although the 7000 is getting a bit long in the tooth now, it has excellent support for 'modified' images, so if that's something you need, you should take that into account.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
BGonaSTICK said:
There are new HW versions, eliminating all the supposed weak points of the 7000 on the way. Could still be a few months off though. They have a better tuner.

Although the 7000 is getting a bit long in the tooth now, it has excellent support for 'modified' images, so if that's something you need, you should take that into account.

BG my 1997 dBox has long teeth. The DB is still visionary.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, not with an ATA66 IDE interface it isn't!

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
BGonaSTICK said:
LOL, not with an ATA66 IDE interface it isn't!

hang on BG
If it had a ultra high speed internal bus and say fibre channel I/O, most punters at home would not have the kit to deal with it nor afford it nor fix it cheaply if it goes wrong.
But yes, I'll pull the word visionary.