dreambox or dragon cam

satfand

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
manhattan+mrv
My Location
yorkshire GB
Hi all just looking for a bit of advise her in doors will be buying me a xmas present :-csmile I have a manhattan but i think i would like a dreambox but i dont know or should i get a dragon cam

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
I dont really think a dragon is needed if you have a dreambox. I have em both, and I make use of it, but not full use to be fair. NDS, and conax both work in my dreambox (cards I have) and everything the Dragon can decrypt so can dreambox. Plus updating batches of keys etc is quicker through the dreambox than by using the loader card etc with the Dragon. I may be wrong on some points, am not sure, my experience.

satfand

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
manhattan+mrv
My Location
yorkshire GB
yazooo said:
I dont really think a dragon is needed if you have a dreambox. I have em both, and I make use of it, but not full use to be fair. NDS, and conax both work in my dreambox (cards I have) and everything the Dragon can decrypt so can dreambox. Plus updating batches of keys etc is quicker through the dreambox than by using the loader card etc with the Dragon. I may be wrong on some points, am not sure, my experience.
thanks for your rep m8 idont have a dreambox yet just dident know witch to get ps the wife isent rich so it will be the dm500s is that ok or should i go for the dragon cam instead

sputnick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000S, movable dish 1m pointing at 13E, 5E and 4W. The Gemini Project 2.90 Image in Flash. No multi-boot.
My Location
Belgium - Brussels
Hello Satfand,

To be honest. I have a friend who bought a DM, but he is like zero in computers. I had to configure network, update images and keys for him. Ok, its a great friend, I do it for him. However, if you know what you are doing and ready for what Dreambox can offer you, then ok.
Anyways Dreambox or Dragoncam bought require some knoledge and if you have even bases of it, then the rest can be reached.

See the price

Dreambox or Dragon cam ? Dont forget, for dragoncam you need card loader and programmer also ( 70 € +/- ) !!
Dreambox is more interesting in one way, Dragon Cam i just love :)
If you want just get some channels and already have one receiver, then get a Dragon Cam 4.2 ( last version I think ). Read on forums on how to update Cam to the latest software ( Pr*dator 3.24 if i'm correct )

satfand

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
manhattan+mrv
My Location
yorkshire GB
sputnick said:
Hello Satfand,

To be honest. I have a friend who bought a DM, but he is like zero in computers. I had to configure network, update images and keys for him. Ok, its a great friend, I do it for him. However, if you know what you are doing and ready for what Dreambox can offer you, then ok.
Anyways Dreambox or Dragoncam bought require some knoledge and if you have even bases of it, then the rest can be reached.

See the price

Dreambox or Dragon cam ? Dont forget, for dragoncam you need card loader and programmer also ( 70 € +/- ) !!
Dreambox is more interesting in one way, Dragon Cam i just love :)
If you want just get some channels and already have one receiver, then get a Dragon Cam 4.2 ( last version I think ). Read on forums on how to up date Cam to the latest software ( Pr*dator 3.24 if i'm correct )
Hi sputnick i have a cas 3 and i like a chalange i will lern how to program the dreambox but i dont want to buy another box if the dragon can do everything that the dreambox can do

sputnick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000S, movable dish 1m pointing at 13E, 5E and 4W. The Gemini Project 2.90 Image in Flash. No multi-boot.
My Location
Belgium - Brussels
I wouldnt say that Dragon Cam does the same that Dreambox does. At the end it gives you the same result yes, but the way you do it is quiet different. Dragon Cam is pretty much easy to program and thats it. Dreambox has a lot more to offer, you can hook it up in your LAN, connect to Internet, record movies on the hard disk of your dreambox or directly to your PC using the same LAN. Or even real-time capture to some multimedia device if you like.
It depends on what you want to achieve. Is it just cl*ar the ch*annels ? Then get a Dragon Cam, she is so good i find. Would you like to work on some multimedia and data recording from Satellite TV, then you definitly need a Dreambox.
DM is the best receiver out there for it !!!!!!
BB :)

satfand

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
manhattan+mrv
My Location
yorkshire GB
Hi sputnick thanks again for your comments could you just tell me one more thing is the dm 500s ok or do i need the 7020

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The 500 does the same as a 7020 but without a USB port and no built-in hard drive.

eghamhigh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 808 2CI
Matrix Reloaded Cam
Fixed dish 13E
My Location
Surrey/Berks Border
Would not quite a big difference between the dreambox and the Dragon Cam be that at some point the dragon cam will become outdated (cupboards fulls of useless CAMS and cards) whilst the Dreambox will be still useable? Or is it all a bit of a gamble?

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
Dreambox can do BISS which Dragon cannot.

Also, with a dreambox you can stream over the network to your pc to watch/record. Using this feature and some free software, you can even watch HD broadcasts and stuff in 4:2:2.

pant

Reaction score
Dreambox can also share....
icon6.gif
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/index.php

satfand

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
manhattan+mrv
My Location
yorkshire GB
Thanks for all your comments guys been very helpfull made up my mind the dreambox it is then wish me luck:-Cbigsmil

cafc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon - fusion 2
TM7755
Slingbox
Dragon V3
My Location
London
Hi

Can you use the Dreambox over a wireless lan, I think you can with some rxers but not sure if it can be done with a dream box, if it has a usb then I guess you could use a wireless USB adapter to your home wifi router

any ideas please?

sputnick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium - Brussels
Well you could get an Ethernet to Wireless bridge adapter. You just plug it into the LAN port of your DM. Or you could use the USB Wireless Network adapter aswell.

sputnick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium - Brussels
Good Luck Satfand ;)

sputnick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium - Brussels
Little differences between DM500 and DM7000 are :

DM7000 has 64 MB Ram and DM500 32 MB
However both have exact same processor : 250 MHz IBM PowerPC
DM7000 hax two smartcard-readers and DM500 only one ( not really important )

in DM7000 you can still place a Hard drive
Both use 100 Mbit Full Duplex Lan
DM500 has no USB slot