Dreambox Problems

Vin047

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Satellite with Dreambox 600PVR
My Location
UK, London
Hi,

Im about to rip my hair out as I've had to do SO MUCH just for a supposedly small task. Anyway long story short I got a dreambox already set up from a friend. The box has a telnet password that isnt the default password but my friend doesnt know what it is. So ive been doing everything I can to change the password without telnet.

This lead me to the guides on the net using Tux Commander. So after installing tux commander from blue panel and accessing it from yellow panel I was finally able to get it to load up.

Now however I find that I can't do anything when in tux commander except move up and down the top directory. I cant access any directories and ive tried all buttons on the remote. The only button that works is keypad 1 which shows me access rights. Ive attached a screenshot but basically it seems i dont have ANY access to any file or directory! whats worse, when I go into this rights menu nothing happens! i cant exit the screen, i cant do anything, and have to restart my dreambox just to regain control.

Could anyone please help me/advise me on what I could possibly do from here? I dont want to reflash but this "bug" is really annoying me (is it a bug? maybe im just doing something wrong?)

Attachments

• 17-09-2009 01-21-35.png
    17-09-2009 01-21-35.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 88

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Vin047 said:
Hi,

Im about to rip my hair out as I've had to do SO MUCH just for a supposedly small task. Anyway long story short I got a dreambox already set up from a friend. The box has a telnet password that isnt the default password but my friend doesnt know what it is. So ive been doing everything I can to change the password without telnet.

This lead me to the guides on the net using Tux Commander. So after installing tux commander from blue panel and accessing it from yellow panel I was finally able to get it to load up.

Now however I find that I can't do anything when in tux commander except move up and down the top directory. I cant access any directories and ive tried all buttons on the remote. The only button that works is keypad 1 which shows me access rights. Ive attached a screenshot but basically it seems i dont have ANY access to any file or directory! whats worse, when I go into this rights menu nothing happens! i cant exit the screen, i cant do anything, and have to restart my dreambox just to regain control.

Could anyone please help me/advise me on what I could possibly do from here? I dont want to reflash but this "bug" is really annoying me (is it a bug? maybe im just doing something wrong?)

Did you read the guide about Tux Commander in the Idiot Guide?
Try to delete it and install it again.
Which image do you have installed?
If you installed it from the blue button, then presumably you connected to the Gemini server. But if your image isn't Gimini, then this might cause the Tux Commander to not function properly.
In your profile you have typed 600pvr. Is this the same receiver you are having trouble with?

npc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020hd 2xDVB-s2 tuners,250Gb hdd, 90cm Motorised Dish, Humax Foxsat HDR.
My Location
Wales
Try this, i got it from another forum

Change the password on DM
If you have forget the pass of your's DM , just make the next steps.

1) Install and run TuxBox Commander plugin

2) Change directory to edit /var/etc/passwd

3) Remove the encrypted password.

--> ATTENTION !!!! THE passdw file only !!! NOT the passdw-

3.1) In the file /etc/passwd is the line:
root:b:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh or something as !!!
root:ghkjhgkjkjhbljblj:0:0:root:/roo t:/bin/sh

3.2) the password field is the b or the encripted string ghkjhgkjkjhbljblj

3.3) Delete the b or the string .
The line now is:root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
(for the DM500, if you are using an other DM keep the
root as it is, you must delete ONLY the string)
4) Save the file and exit

5) Telnet to your DB with root user without password

6) Create a new root password with the command : " passwd "

If you want put the original file with user:root and pas.:dreambox in one directory in your's DM and if you forget again the pas. then just copy the file passw in the original location

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I think that his problem is to use Tux Commander, as he can't Edit anything with it.

Vin047

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK, London
Thanks for the responses. Forgive me, it was 2am when I wrote this post and I clearly forgot to include some important information!

The dreambox in question is not the dm600 pvr but actually a DM500-S. And the image is Pli Jade, not sure what version, the Information box from the main menu says release 1.9.01.10.2008, and I remember another box somewhere saying as the title Jade (Nov 5).

Yup I did read the idiot guide but I dont think it addresses this particular problem. I will reinstall Tux Commander to see if it changes anything (incidentally it says tux commander NOT tuxbox commander, does that make a difference or are they the same?) But yes as HB13DISH said I cant edit anything so npc's solution doesnt quite work for me.

Compufunk what you suggested seemed perfect except its for dm600, is there something similar for dm500 with pli jade image?

Thanks for the input so far, really appreciate it!

npc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020hd 2xDVB-s2 tuners,250Gb hdd, 90cm Motorised Dish, Humax Foxsat HDR.
My Location
Wales
They are the same Tux & Tuxbox, Sorry it's no help, these boxes are so diffcult to get your head around. I hope you can resolve it soon

Vin047

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK, London
thanks mate, just a quick update, reinstalling tux commander didnt help :(

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Vin047 said:
Compufunk what you suggested seemed perfect except its for dm600, is there something similar for dm500 with pli jade image?
You could try it on the DM500, the only way to know for sure is to try it. Your not going to do any damage.

Unfortunately some DM500 images (Maybe all, I dont know) use a read only file system for certain parts of the file structure. If this is the case with Pli Jade, then your snookered.

I dont know of any other way of doing this with Pli Jade.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
How much memory is left on your 500S?
Perhaps the Tux Commander need more memory to function properly.
Can you delete any un-used plugins to free up more memory?

Vin047

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK, London
compufunk, I will try what you've suggested. Quick question though, when it comes to mounting, is it the same procedure as described here? seems like this is only for mounting drive for recording features?

HB13DISH, dont think low memory is the problem, it shows that only 39% of memory has been used so far (with tux installed)

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
The thread you have linked to is a little outdated. Things have changed a bit since 2005.

Look at post two in the thread I gave you the link to. Setting up a mount is described there.